Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DCU Refi Approval

tag
FroggieMom
Regular Contributor

DCU Refi Approval

Just wanted to let everyone know that the over the phone process for DCU loans was overall pretty simple, although my call did take about 45 min in total.  I called on a Sat afternoon and although they do offer 24hr loan apps, on the weekend this is covered by a contracted company not DCU directly which may impact some folks negatively who may be on the edge of approval or denial...just an FYI.   I was wanting to refi my 2012 Dodge Ram 1500 P/U that was a bit upside down but under their 120% LTV limit. However, that being said, since I called on a Sat the woman who took my app was only willing to approve for 100% LTV which would have meant me coming up with about $2K to close the loan.  I called back on Mon after receiving the email from DCU telling me I was approved and was easily able to have the underwriter with DCU approve the full payoff amt.   They do pull Equifax and you do have to burn 2 inquiries (1 for the loan, 1 for the membership)  I tried to see if they could use the report that had been pulled for the loan app and they told me that it required a new pull to look at my banking history, that is not included on the loan report (??) to make sure I would be eligible for membership.  I live in TX so I was required to donate $10 to their charity for schools in order to qualify but since they give 3% interest on the 1st $500 in your savings I figure its worth it, plus it will be tax deductible Smiley Happy  

Here's the break down of my offer vs my current loan:

Current                                                                                                               DCU

$620.15 ~  Monthly pymt                                                                               $563.15 ~  Monthly pymt

9.9% ~ Interest rate                                                                                            4.04% ~ Interest rate (w/o any deductions for added accounts)

53~  Pymts remaining                                                                                         50 ~  Pymts remaining

$27.4K ~ Loan payoff

So they were able to save me $60/ mo and cut 3 months of the term.  They do offer GAP at a cost of $295 that can be added into the loan and they try to sell you on their credit life insurance at a whopping $27/mo added to the pymt.  I said "No, Thanks" I have plenty of life insurance to cover this loan in the event of my death.

I was hoping for the 1.74%  I saw advertised on their site based off a "good" credit score which my Equifax was 681 at the time, 691 Auto enhanced.  But still shaving more than 1/2 the interest off works for me Smiley Happy

Summer 2018 FICO 8 scores~
Gardening until 2019....at least
Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
StriveToProsper
Regular Contributor

Re: DCU Refi Approval

Congratulations on the successful refinance with DCU! Managed to knock a chunk of change off the monthly payment and reduce your total amount of monthly payments - very nice! 

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.