Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DCU approved - Stipulation?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

DCU approved - Stipulation?

Hi community,

Soo... I applied online and got approved, then I signed up for membership right after.  Looking back at the loan summary, it says: Stipulation - Purchase & Sales Agreement.

I'm confused; and DCU is closed till Tuesday I presume.  I thought they just mailed a blank check limited to the approved amount?  My initial plan was to walk in with the DCU check in hand as well as my checkbook and credit card (put the maximum possible payment with no fees on my credit card for the points and pay it off immediately after).  A simple, smooth process.

This will be my first auto purchase ever, and  I'm making a hefty cash payment to cover the remaining portion of the car.  How does this Stipulation fit into the process?  Am I to go to the dealership,  make the initial cash payment, and have them fax a Purchase & Sales Agreement to DCU showing a $25,000 balance (the amount I was approved for)?  There's also the issue of the 5-hour timezone difference...

Could someone provide guidance so I don't wrack my brain over the weekend and holiday??  I would greatly appreciate it!  Thanks.

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
EddieK
Established Contributor

Re: DCU approved - Stipulation?

This is normal.  Them mailing you a check is not their standard process, but you can call them and arrange to have a check overnighted to you.  It cost $15 to have that done.  

Starting Scores:
1/19/14:

1/28/14:
2/12/14:
Current Scores:
7/10/19:
12/17/16:
9/05/17:
Message 2 of 6
pipeguy
Senior Contributor

This is a normal-typical process for DCU and one that dealers accept, no problem. I purchased a new/used 1 year old car 12.31.14 (wife's) after pre-qualifying with DCU around 12.10.14 - once the dealer faxes the sales and purchasing agreement to DCU, they'll send a check that you drop off at the dealer. No reason to pay for fedex, dealers accept a 5-7 day turn around (no problem at all on the car purchase 12.31.14).

Add to that "older" experience, I got a preapproval through DCU for $30k for a new car purchase (for my car) on 1.4.16 which I expected to use quickly, well the first couple of deals fell through because I didn't get the deal I wanted. The pre-approval is good for 45 days - found a car and a deal through TruCare and after a bit off back and forth on the trade and purchased a new car 2.8.16 ($41k list, out the door including tax/title/prep/etc for $29,800). Told the dealer to fax the documents to DCU and they'd send me a check. Although the finance manager said they'd never heard of DCU (DC Metro vs Boston area), I drove the car home, the dealer faxed the info to DCU, DCU called me to confirm the deal and loan, and a check is on the way to me by standard mail. Dealer #1 and Dealer #2 were not the same.

I should note too that neither dealer ran my credit, at least not a hard pull because nothing showed up on my CRA reports, although the finance manager from the car I just purchased said he could beat my 1.99 APR/65 month deal from DCU if my scores were over 740 - they are, but I didn't believe him as far as beating the rate and I wasn't going to let him blitz hard pulls.  

No issues, no problems, dealer understands a credit union sending you a check.

Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ah - thanks for the clarification guys!  Makes sense now.  

Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

pipeguy wrote:.

I should note too that neither dealer ran my credit, at least not a hard pull because nothing showed up on my CRA reports, although the finance manager from the car I just purchased said he could beat my 1.99 APR/65 month deal from DCU if my scores were over 740 - they are, but I didn't believe him as far as beating the rate and I wasn't going to let him blitz hard pulls.  

No issues, no problems, dealer understands a credit union sending you a check.

Should have bet him the price of the car....

'Sure we can 'beat' your rate just give me permission whore out your credit, so that we can make a few points on the finance too....

Did he offer undercoating lol

Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Well I wish I knew this lol. I spent maybe 20more mins in the dealer than I had to then. I waltzed in, everything going smooth. Finance guy emailed dcu the sales agreement, then we had a copy of the check emailed , the next day I brought in an overnight check.
That's the short version, the long version involves me being in a rush to get to work and calling dcu on behalf of a lazy-ish finance guy(probably because he wasn't getting any money from running my credit). If I had the blank check I literally would have been in and out in at most 20minutes the day of the deal.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.