cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DTI question from first-time buyer

tag
Basia77

DTI question from first-time buyer

Okay, I'm not actually a first time buyer, but it has been over 10 years since I've bought a car so I'm basically a newbie.

I've been doing my homework in preparation for buying a car, and the only area I'm concerned about is my DTI. I'm happy with my credit scores (760 EQ, 747 TU, haven't pulled EX yet), but my DTI is about 30-31% before factoring in a car loan (this is rent, cc payments and student loans). When I factor in a "worst case scenario" car loan (i.e., the highest loan payment I'm willing to go within my budget and assuming I have to make minimum payments on all cc - even those that don't normally carry a balance), it pushes my DTI to about 38-39%.

Does anyone have any insight on how lenders would view that? Would it really hurt my chances for approval?

Thanks in advance for any insight/advice.

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
Remember0
Valued Contributor

Re: DTI question from first-time buyer

You'll be fine as long as gross income is high enough (ie above 2k)...so is gross income > 2k?

Here's some tips on how to buy a car and why/how to arrange financing before you buy. BTW, I'd apply to DCU first and see what they say, but don't do it more than 2-3 weeks before buying.

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Auto-Loans/Guide-to-Financing-Leasing-and-Refinancing-a-Car/td-p/289...

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.