cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dealer says i WILL not qualify for a lease for a new car but only for a loan.

tag
Techno
Contributor

Dealer says i WILL not qualify for a lease for a new car but only for a loan.

(3inq)Equifax 745 (2inq) TU 744  (6inq)EXP 726

AAOA (1yr5mos)

Avail credit: 49k

util: 8%

oldest account 2yr3mos

income 36k

never took a loan on a car thats why he said i would probably not qualify for a lease, which is odd because i am borrowing less money. but ok.

I am trying to lease a mazda through chase which i have checking and saving account with (balance>25k) for over a year.

so that might help me chances

car selling price around 21k

loan amount is around 8k after taxes and fees for the lease.

Also can i app as many times as i want within 30 days and it will count as 1 inq?

We haven't even ran my credit he just asked over the phone if i had ever had a car loan, i said no and he said oh well you probably wont qualify.

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Dealer says i WILL not qualify for a lease for a new car but only for a loan.

Lease financing has always been tougher than straight credit. I don't really understand why. But you don't have to lease through the dealer. Check out http://www.leasecompare.com. You might also talk to your bank or credit union and see if they'll finance a lease. 

Message 2 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Dealer says i WILL not qualify for a lease for a new car but only for a loan.

@Techno wrote:

(3inq)Equifax 745 (2inq) TU 744  (6inq)EXP 726

Also can i app as many times as i want within 30 days and it will count as 1 inq?

We haven't even ran my credit he just asked over the phone if i had ever had a car loan, i said no and he said oh well you probably wont qualify.

Any car financing inquiry in a 2 week period will count as 1 for FICO scoring but still will show as multiple inquiries on your credit report.  If you apply for a credit card for example they will see the total number of inquiries.  That's why it's important to make intelligent decisions about your potential financing options ahead of time and narrow down the places where you intend to apply.  If you just go off and have your credit run at 15 places, you are going to do your credit file harm, score or not.

Message 3 of 11
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

The credit manager SUCKS at this dealership if he pulls MID 700's and can't get you a lease on a Mazda 3.... Mazda is pretty easy financing/leasing ANYWAY so find another dealership if you have issue but you should just go in and apply and see what happens...

Message 4 of 11
tonyjones
Valued Contributor

@Creditaddict wrote:

The credit manager SUCKS at this dealership if he pulls MID 700's and can't get you a lease on a Mazda 3.... Mazda is pretty easy financing/leasing ANYWAY so find another dealership if you have issue but you should just go in and apply and see what happens...

x2 lol manager is definitely trolling you, go to another dealership. Your FICO score is good.

Current Fico Scores: (December 2023)
Message 5 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

That is absurd and ridiculous.  I got a lease 2014 and your scores where higher than mine.  They were all around 720 and only had 2 inquiries for the car.  I leased a 2014 Infiniti Q50 AWD premium & loaded and it was all done online with a leasing company in New Jersey (I live in CT).  It took about a week and then they drove the car down to my house for me to sign all paperwork.  Very easy and breezy.  I did my research well before starting the process as I don't have patience for crooks.

That sales manager doesn't know what he is talking about.  The leasing company was very honest and got me the car I wanted.  Sent me a preview of paperwork for me to read and changed whatever  was in before the driver showed up with the car and document for me to sign.  Do your research well before you do anything.  I ended up getting a brand new car, no down payment (when all the dealers in CT wanted at least $5k down) and very low payment considering the car was close to 50k.

Message 6 of 11
Techno
Contributor

Thank you guys i went to another dealer and got approved with the best money ratio 0.00013.

got a deal for the lease for 250$ including tax with 530(first month registration + doc fee) down.

car msrp was 23395 and selling price was 20995 residual 60%

first time leasing/getting a loan on a car, but with my avail credit of over 50k it was a breeze. 

thanks to all the hard work with the credit cards finally i have a loan showing so this should bring it up in a few months too Smiley Happy

Message 7 of 11
sccredit
Valued Contributor

Find a different dealer 

Message 8 of 11
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

@Techno wrote:

Thank you guys i went to another dealer and got approved with the best money ratio 0.00013.

got a deal for the lease for 250$ including tax with 530(first month registration + doc fee) down.

car msrp was 23395 and selling price was 20995 residual 60%

first time leasing/getting a loan on a car, but with my avail credit of over 50k it was a breeze. 

thanks to all the hard work with the credit cards finally i have a loan showing so this should bring it up in a few months too Smiley Happy

Id call the other guy back and be like PS. I leased from another dealer at TIER 1+. Have a great day!

Message 9 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Any car financing inquiry in a 2 week period will count as 1 for FICO scoring but still will show as multiple inquiries on your credit report.  If you apply for a credit card for example they will see the total number of inquiries.  That's why it's important to make intelligent decisions about your potential financing options ahead of time and narrow down the places where you intend to apply.  If you just go off and have your credit run at 15 places, you are going to do your credit file harm, score or not.

Also note that in my experience, dealer financing has resulted in a double pull, once from the dealership and once from the financing company.

And to address the original question, I got a lease from VW with low 600s credit, and a lease from Honda with mid 600s.

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.