Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dealership Dos and Dont when it comes to financing

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Dealership Dos and Dont when it comes to financing

Hello all, 

I know this isnt the right place for this question but I havent found a car/dealership forum that will answer in the time frame im looking for so thought I'd try here. 

First my question - When shopping for a car and the dealer asks if Im financing on my own, which I am, should I say yes or no. My thoughts is if I say yes Im afraid that they wont give me the best deal and was planning on telling him/her after we agree on a price. --- Any thoughts??

Second - info on what Ive found while researching  - please add/comment to share with other car shoppers

- Dealers will raise the interest rate to make money. For instance - if a bank gives you 5% the dealer will add 2% and collect the difference. 

- Sometime dealers will tell the buyer that the bank requires a downpayment in order to make a profit off the veichle. - If the car is worth 10,000 the dealer will look for financing for 8,000 and collect the difference. I learned that from a family member who works for a dealership. 

- A dealership/finance company look at your Fico Credit Score and FICO Auto Industry Option which is only available for dealerships and financing companies. 

- Never tell them what your score is but obviously find out before hand. After your approval ask them what your score is, its a good way to see if the dealer is on the truthful path. 

Theres more that Ive found but its a good start. 

Thanks in advance..

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

Re: Dealership Dos and Dont when it comes to financing

Welcome to the forums!  Good info - thanks for posting.

Also be sure to take a look at this thread, it's stickied here in the Auto Loans forum:

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Auto-Loans/Guide-to-Financing-Leasing-and-Refinancing-a-Car/td-p/289...

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Dealership Dos and Dont when it comes to financing

Thanks pizzadude.. I was looking informative infomation like this - good stuff..

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.