Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dealership HP'd 3 times

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Dealership HP'd 3 times

So I got an auto loan and the dealership pulled my credit. Their financing services pulled on the same day. Then, according to my credit report, they inquired again 2 days later after I had already taken the car off the lot.

Do all these pulls count as 1? I've read here before that pulls in the same time frame count as 1 as far as fico to allow you to shop around for the best rates.

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Dealership HP'd 3 times

I'm trying to fix a similar thing at the moment. Financed a car in January and the dealership pulled, then Chase Auto pulled same day (both TU). Didn't even do any rate shopping, but I was under the impression that any HPs stemming from shopping for a car would be rolled into or couted as single inquiry. Can anyone shed some light on this?

Message 2 of 7
Strangerinthedark
Established Member

The auto inquiries will  count as one for the purpose of the fico score, but all the inquiries will still appear in your report, from what I have read on these boards. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Good to know, thanks for the clarification.
Message 4 of 7
RussianPassion
Regular Contributor

The dealership will always pull your credit. They HAVE to and there is no way around it if they play by rules. They must show and have you sign the credit score disclosure and notice of adverse action if your credit is bad and feel then cannot obtain financing for you. They could pull 1 or all 3 agencies. Then, depending on the experience of the Sales/Finance manager they will submit to to 1 or more financing institutions. Submitting it to multiple banks is known as "shotgunning". Typically inexperience finance managers do that because they have no idea which bank best fits given the structure of the loan, type, year and milage of the vehicle you are purchasing/leasing and your credit. Ideal situation will be 1 hard hit from dealer and 1 hard hit from 1 bank. 

Hope this helps.

Message 5 of 7
Creditwiser
Valued Contributor

@RussianPassion wrote:

The dealership will always pull your credit. They HAVE to and there is no way around it if they play by rules. They must show and have you sign the credit score disclosure and notice of adverse action if your credit is bad and feel then cannot obtain financing for you. They could pull 1 or all 3 agencies. Then, depending on the experience of the Sales/Finance manager they will submit to to 1 or more financing institutions. Submitting it to multiple banks is known as "shotgunning". Typically inexperience finance managers do that because they have no idea which bank best fits given the structure of the loan, type, year and milage of the vehicle you are purchasing/leasing and your credit. Ideal situation will be 1 hard hit from dealer and 1 hard hit from 1 bank. 

Hope this helps.

So sick of hearing about this practice. Especially folks that have upwards of 10 HP's by a dealership or used car place. 

NFCU Visa 30k | NFCU Platinum 30k | Cap1 QS 12K | Cap1 QS 11.5K | Barclay MC 9k | Delta Gold Amex 30K | Discover IT 14K | CFNA FS 3200 | CareCredit 20k| Paypal Credit 5k |
Message 6 of 7
RussianPassion
Regular Contributor

I somewhat agree with your. See, people shop for cars and want "best price"... 99% of the time "best price" means **bleep** service. So you get what you pay for. Lousy dealers have fiannce managers that have no clue what they are doing. My advice is to shop for a car based on service first and price second. I have been inthe business for a long time and beleive me when I say it that people that pay a dealer a profit are always happy customers.

At the same token, if you walk into a dealer and start tellign them what to do (pull this, don't pull this) the deal could go south. 

Best advice is to find a place with good people working there. Tell them you want to know what is going on because you want to know how it works. They will be happy to explain it all to you.

Car business is simple. No difference from any other business. It all depends on people that do it though. Years of incompetence gave ALL dealers bad reputation, when in actuality there are lots of great dealerships and people working there are normal family people with morals, knowledge and all that other good stuff. Smiley Happy

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.