Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Decent auto insurance?

tag
maiden_girl
Valued Contributor

Decent auto insurance?

I know this doesn't actually count as an auto loan topic but I just purchased a new car and I have been having trouble with insurance shopping. I was going to go with AAA b/c I have an older car insured with them so I decided to insure my new 2011 Hyundai Accent to save money with multi-policy discount. Their premium was the highest! $5,200 for the whole year! I was so shocked by this that I told the agent to cancel my policy with them. I then ended up calling an insurance agent and he told me about Infinity insurance. I signed up with them but I have been hearing terrible things about this company. I don't trust them to insure my car so I am going to cancel it today! I decided to sign up for Esurance. It had the cheapest premium and they seem trustworthy. I can't find any negative info about them.

Anyway...will this constant change in insurance coverage upset the finance company at all? I am keeping with the guidelines. No coverage break and the $500 min deductible for collision and comprehensive.

As of 2017, rebuilding...
Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
MovingForward_2012
Valued Contributor

Re: Decent auto insurance?

No. Just as long as they are being sent your insurance information by the insurance company. It might be good to call your finance company after the dust settles to make sure they have your correct insurance info.
Cards: Orchard Bank ($1100) | Cap1 Cash Rewards ($2500) | Chase Freedom ($1000) | Best Buy ($2500) | Discover It ($1000) | Barclay Rewards ($2500) | Current scores: EX FAKO: 684, CK TU: 649, FICO EQ: 680, FICO TU: 698, FICO EX: 658 Happy Homeowner Since 2/6/13! Smiley Happy Last App: 4/5/13 Gardening until July 2014
Message 2 of 15
maiden_girl
Valued Contributor

Thanks for the heads up. My dealer actually handled all that for me but I think I may call the finance company up myself.

Message 3 of 15
MovingForward_2012
Valued Contributor

You're welcome. Yes, I think that would be a good idea if you switched insurances after signing the papers. I did the same thing. My insurance ballooned after adding the new car to my policy and I had to cancel and go with someone else.
Cards: Orchard Bank ($1100) | Cap1 Cash Rewards ($2500) | Chase Freedom ($1000) | Best Buy ($2500) | Discover It ($1000) | Barclay Rewards ($2500) | Current scores: EX FAKO: 684, CK TU: 649, FICO EQ: 680, FICO TU: 698, FICO EX: 658 Happy Homeowner Since 2/6/13! Smiley Happy Last App: 4/5/13 Gardening until July 2014
Message 4 of 15
electra
Established Contributor

USAA if you are a full member.

Message 5 of 15
maiden_girl
Valued Contributor

^Not in the army...I'd never become a full memeber Smiley Sad Lol.

Message 6 of 15
Jutz
Valued Contributor

Wowwwwwwww.  $5200 a year?  For a sensible, safe, economical car?  I just switched to eSurance as well.  Save me about $30 a month with my current car, will save me nearly $80 wiith the car I plan on buying in the next couple of months.

• Current: EQ FICO 706, TU FICO 701, EX FICO 706 | Starting Score: 525 (05/2012)
  • Starting total revolving credit: $1100 | Current total revolving credit: $36,700
  • Inquiries (12 Months): EQ 2 TU 1 EX 1 | Most Recent: 1/21/2014
Chase Freedom $9500
DCU Visa $10000
Capital One QS $2000
AMEX BCE $3000
Lowe's CC $8500
WalMart CC $3100
BOA Platinum $600
AMEX Gold NPSL
Message 7 of 15
blackie1
Valued Member

Yeah, that 5200 auto insurance on a 2011 hyundai accent which you are only paying 227 month payment on is crazy, thats 431 a month for the insurance, are you sure the 5200 is not a misprint?

2fst4u
Message 8 of 15
electra
Established Contributor

I'm not in the Army (or Navy, Air Force or Marines)...but my dad was.  You just need a family member who is currently in or retired to join and then you can join as well.  Smiley Happy

Other than that, I'd try eSurance or Progressive.  That's a crazy big amount.

Message 9 of 15
maiden_girl
Valued Contributor

@blackie1 wrote:

Yeah, that 5200 auto insurance on a 2011 hyundai accent which you are only paying 227 month payment on is crazy, thats 431 a month for the insurance, are you sure the 5200 is not a misprint?

Definitely not a misprint. That's what AAA calculated and I have the same exact coverage with Esurance for $2,400 a year. AAA based their calculations on a redlight ticket I got in 2009 that apparently did not get reported on my license until 2010 so they had the right to leave it reporting on my insurance for an additional year (their words). This year I was hit by an unlicensed driver and the accident was somehow my fault according to the adjuster. I never knew that getting smashed into by someone could be your fault...Also in the state of California...you can legally obtain car insurance without a driver's license. I did not know this until after the accident. My Infinity insurance was even cheaper. $2,000 a year but I just didn't hear any positive things about the company so I decided to leave them alone.

Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.