Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Deciphering What Lenders Want

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Deciphering What Lenders Want

Ok...

So here is my question.....  I have so so credit with between 640 - 670 depending on which report is pulled....

I am currently looking at Mazda's, Mitsubishi's, and etc CUV's......

Anyways, I am trading in a vehicle that two dealers have already expressed they would match my KBB offer to make me happy and buy from them....

What I would like to know is since I am not putting any money down, will a 11k trade in make me look as good to the lender as if I weren't trading anything and it were just money? 

I have heard that Chase and Mazda tend to be lenient when it comes to good APR rates.....

If it helps answer the question, I don't have any previous vehicle loans as I paid outright for my previous, but I do have a fully paid off and never late student loan and a current home loan with no lates.....  I do have about 43% out in credit because of a sizeable Home Depot expenditure.....

What do you guys think?

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Deciphering What Lenders Want

@Anonymous wrote:

Ok...

So here is my question.....  I have so so credit with between 640 - 670 depending on which report is pulled....

I am currently looking at Mazda's, Mitsubishi's, and etc CUV's......

Anyways, I am trading in a vehicle that two dealers have already expressed they would match my KBB offer to make me happy and buy from them....

What I would like to know is since I am not putting any money down, will a 11k trade in make me look as good to the lender as if I weren't trading anything and it were just money? 

I have heard that Chase and Mazda tend to be lenient when it comes to good APR rates.....

If it helps answer the question, I don't have any previous vehicle loans as I paid outright for my previous, but I do have a fully paid off and never late student loan and a current home loan with no lates.....  I do have about 43% out in credit because of a sizeable Home Depot expenditure.....

What do you guys think?

11k would be seen as a DP for your new car so if your new car is in mediocre range than you are good for approval provided there are not other negatives on your CR.

Since you don’t have any auto loan history that might take you a bit higher for APR but on the other hand you have home loan that is big commitment and shows responsibility so I would leave that to answer somebody else who has knowledge of such situation

Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
11k would be seen as a DP for your new car so if your new car is in mediocre range than you are good for approval provided there are not other negatives on your CR.

Since you don’t have any auto loan history that might take you a bit higher for APR but on the other hand you have home loan that is big commitment and shows responsibility so I would leave that to answer somebody else who has knowledge of such situation

GC - Hey, the vehicles I am looking at are in the 21-26k range, so it would be a 17k payment at most AFTER the TIV....So I am not sure what you mean by mediocre range, BUT I am looking new and new only in that range.

Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Also, I do have a couple collections listed on there, but they are both > 5 years old and obviously they didnt affect my mortgage loan because I wasn't even asked about them......it could also be the amount because they were very small and the stupid collection agency wouldn't even do a PFD on them....jerks!

Anyways, that is where I am at.

Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Your income will probably be a very important factor, but $11k down on a $20-25 car is solid, auto history or no.

Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Your income will probably be a very important factor, but $11k down on a $20-25 car is solid, auto history or no.

+1

You are all set with that DP.

Do you have any auto loan history? If yes, good/bad?

Message 6 of 7
mrcrush20
New Contributor

is the car free and clear trade ?

if you owe no money on the trade then its good as cash. 

you might want to try captive lenders 1st IE GMAC for a GM or NMAC for a Nissan ... TFS for a toyota 

on new cars incentives are offered like 0% 0.9% 1.9% so on and so forth

you would take advantage of a rebate if say the dealer offered a 2500 rebate or 0.9 

so you take the rebate and finance with a standerd rate for your credit profile 

do the math is the rate charge more or less over the term of the loan ... also with 11K down you would be in a major equity poss in the new car loan and most finance companies will offer a discount as much as 1.0% for that... so lets say standard rate is 3.9 with chase and you are financing less then 90% of what the car is worth you get that discount. 

most auto loans are simple intrest as well, so if you take the rebate and pay the car off early you only pay the rate charge for the term you used the bankes money. the rebate would also mean a lower amount financed

PS the captive companies will almost awlys look the other way from past good and or bad when you in the car 90% or less, at this point i think its important to find out what the KBB or black book states the wholesale value is if its a used car and what the invoice is if its a new car 

i hope this is clear i mashed this out on my lunch break  

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.