cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Denied for auto refinance at a credit union ... next step

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Denied for auto refinance at a credit union ... next step [UPDATED, APPROVAL]

I was able to get the $0 balance collections account removed from my credit report! However, even before that, I called back the credit union and spoke to a loan officer about my denial. Turns out they were mostly concerned with my income - as one poster had guessed – I'd underreported my income without realizing but after I provided them with paystubs and my W2, I was approved. Since I am upside down on my car I ended up putting about $1500 down and they even extended me a personal loan for the remaining $1500. My loan duration has dropped by a year, my interest rate went from 13% to 2.4%. I would've liked an even shorter term (3-4 years) but my payment has gone down considerably so it'll be easier to pay the loan off early, especially once the personal loan is paid in full in a few months!

Thanks again to everyone for your insight and suggestions.

Message 11 of 16
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

Re: Denied for auto refinance at a credit union ... next step [UPDATED, APPROVAL]

Congratulations! What a very happy ending to your story Smiley Happy

Message 12 of 16
Dustink
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I was able to get the $0 balance collections account removed from my credit report! However, even before that, I called back the credit union and spoke to a loan officer about my denial. Turns out they were mostly concerned with my income - as one poster had guessed – I'd underreported my income without realizing but after I provided them with paystubs and my W2, I was approved. Since I am upside down on my car I ended up putting about $1500 down and they even extended me a personal loan for the remaining $1500. My loan duration has dropped by a year, my interest rate went from 13% to 2.4%. I would've liked an even shorter term (3-4 years) but my payment has gone down considerably so it'll be easier to pay the loan off early, especially once the personal loan is paid in full in a few months!

Thanks again to everyone for your insight and suggestions.

Wow, congrats.

Too many INQs & low AAoA so I'm off to tend the Garden.     Age:23    

$17k       $8.5K          Closed          $19k      $6.5k        $24.2k        Closed         $5k       Closed     $8.5k        Closed      @2.49%
Message 13 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

@StartingOver10 wrote:

Congratulations! What a very happy ending to your story Smiley Happy

Thank you!Smiley Very Happy

Message 14 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

thanks!Smiley Very Happy

Message 15 of 16
DaveInAZ
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

thanks!Smiley Very Happy

Thanks for telling your story. Smiley Happy

I started with your forst post & was worried when you said the CU turned you down. I'm in a similar situation, 01/31/2011 Ch7 discharge, income only around $24k but also more than adequate for my living expenses. I opened a small savings acount at my local CU in aniticipation of applying for a car loan in the near future. They advertise a 3.45% rate for a used car for up to 60 mos., w/ "A" credit rating of 680-720, I'm around 690. Sounds like I should be good to go. I'm trying to wait until February 2015 as I plan to refinance my mortgage once I'm 4 yrs. post discharge (Feb. 1). The mortgage refi should boost my score as I didn't reaffirm tthe current one so the last 4 yrs. of always on time mortgage payments don't show up on my CR. Just hope my current car, 11 yrs old w/120k miles holds out 'till then.

Message 16 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.