New Visitor
myficousername

Does a car loan help with credit score?

I have no debt at all.  I'm trying to improve my credit score.  I'm wondering if a car loan would help in the 4-6 month time frame to bring my score up?
Frequent Contributor
lajntx

Re: Does a car loan help with credit score?

In my experience.... little to none at all. Last year I had no open TL's other than a student loan and tons of baddies.

1. Traditional lenders wouldnt finance anything -- even with 3K down... including a 6K used car which would have been a 50% DP.

2. I went to a subprime lender- CNAC ( JDByrider ).... all 3 scores jumped 10-15 points... and even with a year of on time payments I never saw another jump until I added a major card and saw about a 15-20 point jump on EQ & TU.

Other people I have seen with auto loans dont seem to be getting any scoring help.. or anything like what happens with credit cards. I think thats the main reason why Auto lenders use an Auto Enhanced Fico because a regular fico score tends to be more biased towards credit cards and not auto loans.

Now if you have a clean history... you might have better results.

EQ- 647, EX- 641, TU- 644
Sept `13 - ZERO Debt, 100% Liquid, AND a climbing credit score. Eat your heart out Dave Ramsey!
Regular Contributor
Cyan007

For the timeframe of 4-6 months, I believe an auto loan will hurt your score.  When I first received my loan my score had dropped 30 points (keep in mind my first auto loan).  It took about a year to break even and start gaining ground.  What helps is that if you have a solid car loan history, it looks good when you purchase another car.

EQ (11/16/2007): 573

Starting Score (1/1/2010): EQ: 712 -- TU: 726
Current Score: EQ: 748 (12/22/11) -- TU: 726 (1/7/10) -- TU04: 701 (1/27/10) -- EX: 747 (1/27/10) (LO)
Goal Score: EQ: 760

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Senior Contributor
creditwherecreditisdue

It can help, but it will most likely hurt in the < 6 month time period. Things will start to improve at 6 months and more at one year. It can be hard to get started and a secured loan like an auto loan is a good way to do it.

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+
}