Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does refinancing help your credit?

tag
shondra0609
Valued Member

Does refinancing help your credit?

In July I financed a 2012 Chrysler minivan with a 19% interest rate.  I only bought the vehicle to help rebuild credit and I knew my interest rate would be high if I got financed at all.  This was with Santander.  I refinanced with Capital One yesterday with a 9% interest rate saving me over $100 a month and over $7000 for the life of the loan.  Woo Hoo.  I'm thrilled with it, but am just wondering if the refinance with help at all with my credit score since I will have a paid in full account, no missed payments, etc.

Starting Score: 667EX 599EQ 687TU
Current Score: 667EX 599EQ 687TU
Goal Score: 700

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

Re: Does refinancing help your credit?

@shondra0609 wrote:

In July I financed a 2012 Chrysler minivan with a 19% interest rate.  I only bought the vehicle to help rebuild credit and I knew my interest rate would be high if I got financed at all.  This was with Santander.  I refinanced with Capital One yesterday with a 9% interest rate saving me over $100 a month and over $7000 for the life of the loan.  Woo Hoo.  I'm thrilled with it, but am just wondering if the refinance with help at all with my credit score since I will have a paid in full account, no missed payments, etc.

Congrats on dropping your interest rate !  Closing out the old loan and opening a new one should have minimal effect on your FICO scores.

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 2 of 8
Plasticard
New Contributor

Probably the only ding to you credit score will be the hard pull by the lender. However, I'm not sure if auto loans gets calculated into AAoA? Kind of curious myself. Also, for someone getting a mortgage, having the $100 a month less payment would help them with their DTI ratio. 

Message 3 of 8
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

@shondra0609 wrote:

Congrats Shondra!

You made an excellent financial move. How the refi affects your score in the short term is unknown, but it certainly is a smart step to reduce both the interest rate and the payment of your auto loan.

IMO it can't hurt to have a paid off tradeline too! Smiley Happy

Message 4 of 8
black_citi
Established Contributor

Congrats on the refi! I hope to do the same in March. I'm at 13.7% with Santander. I hope to get down to 7% or less through a CU.
Make More, Spend Less
Message 5 of 8
juggalo9er
Valued Contributor

@i black_citi wrote:
Congrats on the refi! I hope to do the same in March. I'm at 13.7% with Santander. I hope to get down to 7% or less through a CU.

i went from 20.54% down to 4.9% thanks to a credit union after 1 year...it can be done

Message 6 of 8
mtrsprt
Frequent Contributor

Just make sure you dump the Chrysler minvan after a couple years.  They depreciate ridiculously fast.  

Starting Score: 521 TU, 597 EQ, 574 EX on 6/20/2011
Current Score: 753 TU, 764 EQ, 766 EX on 02/17/2014
Goal Score: 720-740 Across the board

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 7 of 8
kroberts67
Established Contributor

My score dropped 40-something points for having a new acct when I refi-ed.  It didn't matter apparently that I showed a paid off loan.  I'm still not sure why it took such a big hit for that.  It was annoying and it has climbed back up but my payments were lowered at the time, so that's what matters as I'm not in the market for a mortgage etc.  Once my EX hits 750 I'll do it again to get the 1.99/1.49%.  Congrats on your rate, smart move!

FICO: EQ 814 | TU 847 | EX ? (Started in the low 500's... you can do it!)

Amex BCE $25000, Amex AP $20000, SFFCU Visa $15000 + LOC $5000, USAA Amex $6000, USAA MC $7000, Cap1 $9500, Freedom $12000, Slate $500, Barclays "RIP" SM $11500, USBank Cash+ $12500, Citi Diamond $11200, Citi Double Cash $12000, Care Credit $13500k.
My Credit Repair Journey
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.