Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does this sound like a good deal?

tag
Carloscda40
Regular Contributor

Does this sound like a good deal?

08 Honda Accord fully loaded, leather, Navi with 72k miles for $17,900.

I know the average milage per yr is about 12k or so. Being that the car is in Maryland I figureing highway miles.

Message 1 of 19
18 REPLIES 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Does this sound like a good deal?

That is wayyyyyyy high.

Go to www.autotrader.com and do a search for your car and you'll see that Accords in the 08-09 year are typically in that 11-12 k area....

Look at this 2009 model with only 9k miles for asking price of $ 11.9k

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?ct=p&car_id=312008923&dealer_id=66857705&car_year=2009&systime...

Message 2 of 19
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

It's overpriced. What model is it EX or LX, 2D or 4D ?

Suggested retail looks to be around $15K and you would want to negotiate down from there.
March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 3 of 19
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

It might be a slightly high price given the mileage, but I'm just guessing.

It depends who's selling, dealer certified pre-owned, dealer, or private party.

New 2012 that car is around 30K OTD for the EX model which you appear to have assuming V4, V6 is even higher, so you're talking 11-12K depreciation, give or take 35% for four years model, and rougly 5 years driven.  You can probably negotiate it down a little, but if it's certified pre-owned, it's probably in the ballpark.  Assuming branded dealer owned, look at the carfax and see when they took it into inventory... if they've had it sitting around for half a year, and the model year ticked over in their inventory, there's a very good chance you can get that car for lower than the web price.

Used cars are different than new ones, but most dealers I think have a set time to sell cars by before they dump it off to one of the lower tier markets.

Carmax your mileage may vary, I thought their prices were generally high anyway on used cars, but used car buying is sort of an art unfortunately.  At least with a new car you control your own destiny.

        
Message 4 of 19
Carloscda40
Regular Contributor

It's a V6 EX-L... that was on Carmax

I've looked threw Cars.com & AutoTrader,  2 cars that was on autotrader had a few more miles that were cheaper all the rest that had Navi & a V6 Sedan were more money.

Message 5 of 19
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

I checked on KBB and they show between 17 and 18K depends on if it is CPO or not.

So 17.9 is high, but not by as much as I originally thought, the v6 and Nav are nice options....
Message 6 of 19
CS800
Super Contributor

@Carloscda40 wrote:

08 Honda Accord fully loaded, leather, Navi with 72k miles for $17,900.

I know the average milage per yr is about 12k or so. Being that the car is in Maryland I figureing highway miles.

Have you looked up its value on kbb.com?

Message 7 of 19
CS800
Super Contributor

@pizzadude wrote:
I checked on KBB and they show between 17 and 18K depends on if it is CPO or not.

So 17.9 is high, but not by as much as I originally thought, the v6 and Nav are nice options....

So he has good room for negotiation i would say. A lot of car dealership use NADA guide too.

Message 8 of 19
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@Carloscda40 wrote:

It's a V6 EX-L... that was on Carmax

I've looked threw Cars.com & AutoTrader,  2 cars that was on autotrader had a few more miles that were cheaper all the rest that had Navi & a V6 Sedan were more money.

Personally I really like the Honda V6.

I will say out of the people I talked to, they liked doing business with Carmax, and I talked to them some when I was looking at buying my own used car (wound up at an Acura dealer anyway), but the Carmax representative was extremely professional.  A lot of times you wind up getting what you pay for with a used car, and while I absolutely encourage you to get your own vehicle inspection done, Carmax does a fairly professional inspection themselves too.  I looked extensively through their listings, and associated Carfax's vs. other used dealerships, and they are pretty selective.

That said, I don't think Carmax negotiates much if at all.  I'm not positive on that though, so YMMV.

From what Pizzadude posted, it's a reasonable deal, and it's an awfully nice car all things considered.  Plays well both from a dating perspective, and from a family sedan one too... and the V6 makes it fun to drive as well.  Given that a well maintained Honda can go 200K miles no problem without hideous expenses, I think they're well worth the money and are an extremely defensible choice in terms of options as you progress through life from wherever you're at now.

        
Message 9 of 19
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

Yeah I think Carmax is one of those no~negotiation car places. Which for some people can be worth a little extra money to save time and avoid hassle.....
Message 10 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.