cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drive time/ Santander Help! Voluntary Rep or NOT ???????

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Drive time/ Santander Help! Voluntary Rep or NOT ???????

Unfortunately, I took out a loan for drive time for my 2008 car in March 2014. About three months into the car the power steering has gone out twice!... which has been at least $2,800 for both times and now there is something wrong with the transmission.  DT is stating that I still have $16,000 left on the car ....( when I originally signed it for $17,000...BAD CHOICE I SEE) and the car is not even worth $7000.  Now i am lost as to what to do. Do is still pay o the car and get it repaired again or do I turn the car in as a voluntary reposession since I am current with my payments so far. I am lost as to what to do ... someone help!

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

Re: Drive time/ Santander Help! Voluntary Rep or NOT ???????

Was this your first vehicle purchase? Did you take it to DriveTime to fix or a real mechanic?

Message 2 of 7
Dj4Money
Established Contributor

How does the power steering go out  twice? It sounds like it wasn't fixed or temporary fixed. Also how would it cost $2800? This is why people should learn something about cars in general. There is no way even with labor that replaying a power steering pump, belt(s) or reservoir. If it was the steering rack then it would be more but not $2800.

Be that as it may, you are upside-down a serious risk with Drive-Time. The only thing you can do now is to learn how to fix your own car. The factory service manual is easy to understand. I don't mean the manuals you get from Autozone, Pep Boys, etc. But the actual factory manual that dealers use.

If you tell me what car you got I can point you in the right direction. Also you can purchase 95% of the tools you need from Sears for less than $100. I might need to add a larger socket and possibly a torque wrench but that should be all the tools you need. Oh a jack, jack stands and a electric impact wrench will make it easier but if you can find a self-service shop that will make it easier.

Also local community colleges and trade schools have entry level auto repair classes you can take.

If you haven't gotten any secure credit cards, I would highly recommend you get some to further boost your score in the short term. It's very possible you can get your scores into the lower/mid 600's in 6-12 months with on-time car payments and a couple of positive trade lines like credit cards. At that point you might be able to get out of the car and loan and get something better, newer or just flat out new.

Good Luck

Message 3 of 7
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

I have to agree with some of Dj's points above. I certainly wouldn't let it get repo'ed - it will make a bad situation much worse. You will still owe all the debt on the vehicle if you return it to DriveTime. Turning in the vehicle does not get rid of the debt. They sell the car at auction for a couple of dollars and subtract that from what you owe after they have added tons of fees. It is a bad deal all around.

As to the repairs: it is very likely DriveTime didn't fix anything. That's why I made my original comment about a real mechanic. You have to go to a real mechanic to actually get it repaired. Bringing it to DT only adds to the debt - but doesn't get you the repair you need.

A 2008 vehicle is not old. If you take care of it, it will last a long time. Taking it to DT to have a bandaid put on it doesn't actually solve the issue. I personally don't fix my own vehicle, but I have a trusted mechanic. That is what you need. Someone that will tell you the real deal and can actually fix it. Yes, you have to pay for it, but it is substantially less to have the real repair than to have DT keep adding bogus charges to your never ending high interest loan. It is how DT indentures consumers through their "repair" system and high interest rate loans.

Message 4 of 7
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

I have to say that if your credit scores are below or barely over 500 rigth now as of today I would give them this car back... your credit can't go lower!!!

Do I even want to know what kind of car this is?

I can not repeat myself enough when you have bad credit and have to buy a used car with a TERRIBLE LOAN, make SURE you buy something reliable (Toyota, Nissan, Honda) not only can it mantain "some" value for you while you are barried in this car loan and hopefully repair your credit and get refinance it won't typically have thousands of dollars worth of work needed just to keep it running.

You need to understand loans before you buy another car too... if you purchased this car at 72 months at anything north of the 18% interest rate, for the first 1-2 YEARS you are going to be paying VERY little towards principle and mostly interest out of your monthly payments, that's why you are 9 months into this loan and only down $1k in principle... look at a spreadsheet for a loan so you can see actually how much your money goes towards your balance vs interest each month so you understand that better.

but frankly I would walk away and try to settle the difference of what you owe vs what they sell later if you can or don't or consider bk but keeping a car that you owe double what it's worth and already can't keep it running and have a 500 credit score is not worth it for credit at all!

Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sorry guys for some odd reason I got locked out of my Macbarbie9 account and had to create a new one.  Either way the car is a 2008 Pontiac G6 and I contacted them about the power steering several times. I did take it to a mechanis this weekend and he stated 1400 since the power steering is electric.

Message 6 of 7
Dj4Money
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Sorry guys for some odd reason I got locked out of my Macbarbie9 account and had to create a new one.  Either way the car is a 2008 Pontiac G6 and I contacted them about the power steering several times. I did take it to a mechanis this weekend and he stated 1400 since the power steering is electric.

Hmmm. Have you searched for any recalls on the electric power steering motor? That seems a bit early for those to fail and yes they'll be more expensive than the traditional engine driven pump.

You can try one of the 3rd party warranty companies to see if they will cover the cost of the repairs. 

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.