Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Early Payoff of Auto Loan --Help!

tag
BruinTheNursePractitioner
Established Member

Early Payoff of Auto Loan --Help!

Happy Saturday.

So, my Honda loan is 11.5K with a 13% interest rate.  It's a 60mo term, and I currently have 48 payments left.  I just balance transferred over to Slate, which is giving me the 15 months zero interst.  I am saving 4.1K in interest charges.  My question: how will it look that I "paid" off my auto loan in one year?  The account will obviously close...will this affect my credit scores?  

Thanks!

Derek

Chase Slate- 33K |AmEx Clear Card-2K | AmEx BCE-2K | Chase Freedom-1.3K | BoA Travel Rewards Visa-10K | BoA Accelerated Rewards AmEx-20K | Citibank Dividend Visa-2.1K | U.S. Bank-600 | Macy's Store Card-1.8K| Barclays MC-2.5K| Discover IT-17K | Chase CSP-1K | Banana Republic Visa-10K | BoA Better Balance Rewards MC-2.5K | Chevron Visa- 1.5K | EBay MC- 2.5K | Citi Diamond Preferred-2K | Citi American Airlines MC- 6.3K | Discover IT Chrome-2.5K| BoA Susan G. Komen MC-8.5K

TOTAL LINES: 20 |TOTAL UNSECURED CREDIT: $125,100
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

Re: Early Payoff of Auto Loan --Help!

So you balance transferred 11.5K to your card ?    It's great to be able to pay the loan with 0%!

Don't worry about the impact of the closed auto loan ~ it will remain on your reports as a positive account for ~10yrs from the date closed, and there should be negligible impact on your FICO score.

Just make sure that you pay the balance from your Chase card such that you don't incur any retroactive interest ~ check the fine print on the BT.

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 2 of 4
BruinTheNursePractitioner
Established Member

Pizzadude (LOL to your name!),

Yes, I BT'd 11.5K with NO fee.  Well, kinda.  Since Chase won't accept BT from auto loans, I had to direct deposit BT from my BofA AmEx 11.5K to my checking (which cost $199--one time), then BT'd that card to Slate.  So overall, I'm only paid 1.3K on my car in interest.  

YAY!

Derek

Chase Slate- 33K |AmEx Clear Card-2K | AmEx BCE-2K | Chase Freedom-1.3K | BoA Travel Rewards Visa-10K | BoA Accelerated Rewards AmEx-20K | Citibank Dividend Visa-2.1K | U.S. Bank-600 | Macy's Store Card-1.8K| Barclays MC-2.5K| Discover IT-17K | Chase CSP-1K | Banana Republic Visa-10K | BoA Better Balance Rewards MC-2.5K | Chevron Visa- 1.5K | EBay MC- 2.5K | Citi Diamond Preferred-2K | Citi American Airlines MC- 6.3K | Discover IT Chrome-2.5K| BoA Susan G. Komen MC-8.5K

TOTAL LINES: 20 |TOTAL UNSECURED CREDIT: $125,100
Message 3 of 4
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

Ok gotcha ~ just be sure that you've looked at all of the details of the BT, don't want any suprises.   And congrats again on saving the interest!

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.