Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Extra Payment Savings Question...

tag
KeithW
Frequent Contributor

Extra Payment Savings Question...

We have an auto loan for $28,593.09 at 5.89% interest for 6 years. We get 6 year loans and pay them off in 3 or 4 years. We send in payments weekly versus monthly to save interst so would it save us more to send in extra with each payment or send in the payment and then tell them to put that extra toward principal reduction?

EQ671 TU673 EX662
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
ceejx
Established Contributor

Re: Extra Payment Savings Question...

@KeithW wrote:

We have an auto loan for $28,593.09 at 5.89% interest for 6 years. We get 6 year loans and pay them off in 3 or 4 years. We send in payments weekly versus monthly to save interst so would it save us more to send in extra with each payment or send in the payment and then tell them to put that extra toward principal reduction?

Off the top of my head, I would say include extra with each payment, until the payment that goes above your monthly payment, and then with that payment, call them and tell them to put the amount needed towards the monthly and anything extra towards the principal.

Just wondering, never thought of paying weekly to save interest, have you calculated how much you'll save over the life of the loan doing that?

Message 2 of 7
KeithW
Frequent Contributor

No I have not calculated how much i would save paying weekly. I guess my question was overly complicated. In reality I wanted to know how overpayment is handled if you do NOT tell them to apply it as a principal reduction payment. It is a simple interest loan.

EQ671 TU673 EX662
Message 3 of 7
ceejx
Established Contributor

@KeithW wrote:

No I have not calculated how much i would save paying weekly. I guess my question was overly complicated. In reality I wanted to know how overpayment is handled if you do NOT tell them to apply it as a principal reduction payment. It is a simple interest loan.

From my past loans (it's been 4 years since I've had an auto loan) you had to specify if something was to be put towards principal. So unless something has changed, yes, and of course that only applies after you've already paid that monthly payment.

Message 4 of 7
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

In my experience lump sum vs. payment + extra specified to principal is irrelevant.

In a simple interest loan, you pay off all the interest accrued for the given month with that month's payment... and anything additional either out of your regular payment or in addition to the regular payment, has to be applied to the only balance remaining at that point: namely the principal.

If you're paying multiple times a month instead of one big lump sum, then you might save a fractional amount (we're talking tiny when we're talking 6ish% APR) of interest by specifying that the additional payments go directly to principal as the additional reduction in principal on a simple interest loan (which all reasonable auto loan options are) will make a small difference in the rest of the interest accrued during the month; however, I tend to think it isn't worth it.

Plus there's some advantages if your lender pushes your due date out into the future by making a normal payment: you still get the reduced interest, but you get a much extended tradeline if you let it idle near the end of the payment cycle... and in case if something goes off the rails in your life financially, you can skip a few months when a payment is not due if you absolutely have to.  That was a non-trivial benefit for me when I was unemployed for a few months and any cash that didn't have to be spent on rent, was useful being saved.

        
Message 5 of 7
KeithW
Frequent Contributor

Revelate,

Thank you for input. The extra wiggle room in case of something unforseen is why I wanted to make larger payments rather than apply the extra to principal. I just wasn't sure if that would cost me more. I guess I could ask Chase, but I am not sure if I would get a correct answer very easily. The people you usually get to talk to aren't very familiar with these types of questions from past experience.

EQ671 TU673 EX662
Message 6 of 7
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

I have a Chase Auto loan and they are very easy to work with for extra payments. In fact, I just transfer funds from my account and if you choose you can add a small amount to the total payment due and it will do as Revelate suggests, push out your payment due date. On the other hand, if you want it to apply directly to principal there is a separate line to fill in to apply it directly to principal. Naturally you have to make at least the payment amount and anything between one dollar and $5000 can be added to your payment to apply to the principal balance.

Most of the time I add the extra amount to the payment section and not the principal section so I can push out the payment. This way I am usually 6 weeks to 2 months ahead which makes it much more flexible for me. When I want to see a big reduction in the principal, I just add a large amount to the principal section. Their payment interface is really very nice so you can experiment around.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.