Credit Card Center Advertiser Disclosure

Former myFICO Employee
0 Kudos

FICO vs. FAKO – Share your FAKO stories

Hey there forums members! Have you ever been impacted in your financial journey to obtain a new loan or credit card by relying on a “credit score” you thought was a FICO® Score?  We want to hear your story. Genuine FICO Scores are used in over 90% of lending decisions, while other “credit scores” (often referred to as FAKO scores) are rarely or never used by lenders to grant credit. Your story could help other consumers who find themselves in a similar situation. Have a FAKO story you’d like to share? Simply reply to this thread with your answers to the questions below.

1. Where did you get your FAKO score?
  2. Which FAKO score did you receive and from which bureau?
  3. Where did you get your genuine FICO® Score?
  4. Which FICO® Score did you receive and from which bureau?
  5. What type of loan/credit were you applying for? (type, rate, terms, etc. are all helpful)
  6. Share your FAKO story (What was your first impression when you received your FAKO score? How did you figure out that it was not a FICO® Score or that it was different than a FICO® Score? How did the FAKO score impact your loan/credit experience? )
New Contributor
0 Kudos

Re: FICO vs. FAKO – Share your FAKO stories

[ Edited ]

Well I'm in the low 700's on Credit Karma but only in the 530's-560's on Fico.  To me that is a HUGE difference.

Discharged Chapter 13 late 5/15. Starting my rebuild:
7/28/15 Fico 8: EQ 567-Trans 534-Ex 542-----8/28/15 Fico 8: EQ 632-Trans 622-EX 625
9/25/15 Fico 8 EQ 663-Trans 634-EX 645-----12/9/15 Fico 8: EQ 673-Trans 654-EX 663
2/17/16 Fico 8: EQ 670-Trans 658-EX 676-----3/4/16 Fico 8: EQ 686-Trans 667-EX 686
Valued Member
0 Kudos

Ironically enough, my CK score and MyFico score are about the same (~5 pt difference)
Former myFICO Employee
0 Kudos

1Rebuilding wrote:

Well I'm in the low 700's on Credit Karma but only in the 530's-560's on Fico.  To me that is a HUGE difference.

Wow that is a big difference!  Would you mind telling us a little bit more about your story? We’re interested to hear how your FAKO scores may have impacted your experiences seeking a loan, new credit or any other aspect of your financial journey. 

Valued Member
0 Kudos

A little of topic, but a few years ago, I had signed up for score watch and was in the process of rebuilding my credit. I saw my FICO score moved from 525 to over 700 and was super excited to see such an improvment. I tried to applied for an auto loan for just a fairly small amount of 10k and was embarrassingly declined. What I found that is more important than your FICO score is, what is in your credit report.
Contributor
0 Kudos

• Where did you get your FAKO score? Credit Karma currently
  • Which FAKO score did you receive and from which bureau? TU 561 and EF 564 
  • Where did you get your genuine FICO® Score? TU 595  and EF 607
  • Which FICO® Score did you receive and from which bureau? MyFico Credit Monitoring 
  • What type of loan/credit were you applying for? (type, rate, terms, etc. are all helpful) Auto loan (back in May when myfico score was about  550)

I noticed that for some reason my Credit Karma has been a lot lower, anywhere from 25-60pts, from the MyFico. MyFico was spot on from the what the bank pulled for the auto loan. I decided I just need to wait until the end of the year and I hope to be in the 620-630's. 

myFICO's : EQ: 643 // TU: 635// EXP:645

WALLET: Victoria Secret $650 | Simply Be $850 | BOA Cash Rewards $300 I Cap 1 Secured $500 | Cap 1 Plat $4k |Chase Freedom $2.2k l Full Beauty $450 l Woman Within $450 l Wayfair $1.2k l Citi Double Cash $700 l Game Stop $300l Overstock $1K l Lane Bryant $300 l Ulta $750 l Walmart $700 l Target Red $1k
Amazon Chase $1k l Kohls $300
Regular Contributor
0 Kudos

1. Where did you get your FAKO score? Credit Karma and Credit.com
  2. Which FAKO score did you receive and from which bureau? Credit Karma is soooo off. My TU says 516 and my EQ says 546
  3. Where did you get your genuine FICO® Score? Credit Check Total
  4. Which FICO® Score did you receive and from which bureau? Current Fico Scores are: TU 589, EX 545 EQ 580
  5. What type of loan/credit were you applying for? (type, rate, terms, etc. are all helpful) I believe my new credit cards are helping me rebuild. I filed bk 03/15/2015 and was discharged 06/15/2015. My scores were in the mid to low 400's. I'm coming along nicely. I believe I will be atleast 663 by Jan/Feb
  6. Share your FAKO story (What was your first impression when you received your FAKO score? How did you figure out that it was not a FICO® Score or that it was different than a FICO® Score? I knew FAKO scores were fake by reading and researching. How did the FAKO score impact your loan/credit experience? ) I never cared or knew much about anything in reference to credit scores until coming here. Looking back, I've gotten car loans with no money down even while having a car loan at the time. I did not even know my score at that time smh. I'm glad, I know more now because having good/excellent credit improves your quality of life.

Credit Check Total Starting Fico Scores 06/15/2015:EQ484/TU459/EX498
Credit Check Total Fico Scores 03/01/2016:EQ603/TU607/EX609
CC's:Cap1 Platinum/Cap 1 QS1/CreditOne/Fingerhut
~Gardening Until June 2016~

New Contributor
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I think what is hurting me the most is my recently Completed CH13 and 4 old accounts that are showing up negatively.  All 4 accounts are about 6-10 months from dropping off.  It seems my real Fico scores are weighing them (4 derogatory accounts) heavier than all the Fako scores I have gotten.  (ranging from 640-702 last month).  I just had a new capital one card show up on my reports and my CK scores are now 712 TR and 720 EQ while my Fico scores are only at 595 TR and 631 EQ.  My Trans union score pulled from Capital one has me currently listed as a 668.  I am purchasing a new car in 2 weeks so I will report back with how I do.  I'm looking putting 40-50% down on the car.  I know my scores will most likely improve in 6-10 months so I will be able to refinance whatever rate I recieve.  

PS I do have at least 5 past auto loans and 4 CC that show up positive and closed.

Discharged Chapter 13 late 5/15. Starting my rebuild:
7/28/15 Fico 8: EQ 567-Trans 534-Ex 542-----8/28/15 Fico 8: EQ 632-Trans 622-EX 625
9/25/15 Fico 8 EQ 663-Trans 634-EX 645-----12/9/15 Fico 8: EQ 673-Trans 654-EX 663
2/17/16 Fico 8: EQ 670-Trans 658-EX 676-----3/4/16 Fico 8: EQ 686-Trans 667-EX 686
Former myFICO Employee
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Hi everyone,

First of all, thanks to all of you who shared your credit confusion stories. It’s been incredibly valuable to hear about your experiences with other types of credit scores and how your FICO® Scores compared.

We think it’s extremely important for people to understand the difference between FICO Scores and non-FICO Scores in order to manage their financial health effectively. Your stories are a critical part of helping people understand the difference.

I’m excited to announce the launch of FICOScore.com and FICOScore.com/stories! FICOScore.com is a purely educational website providing educational content about FICO Scores. FICOScore.com/stories is a community-driven sister site that allows people to read credit confusion stories, like and share stories they find useful, and submit their own non-FICO score experiences.

You’ll notice that we used some of the stories seen here. If you have any concerns or would like yours edited, please don’t hesitate to contact me via PM.

And for those of you who haven’t posted, I encourage you to go to FICOScore.com/stories and share your credit confusion experiences.

Sprint pulled my TU score -- 723

FICO -- 601

FAKO -- 523

I'm so confused. I recently purchased a vehicle at 16.95% and was sick! I took the car back, negoitiated with the DM and received 0% via Ford Motor. They used Experian and my score was 566.  I'm still scratching my head, but giving GOD ALL THE GLORY!!

Forums posts are not provided or commissioned by FICO. Forums posts have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by FICO. It is not FICO's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.

† Advertiser Disclosure: The listings that appear on myFICO are from companies from which myFICO receives compensation, which may impact how and where products appear on myFICO (including, for example, the order in which they appear). myFICO does not review or include all companies or all available products.
‡ Credit cards for FICO Score ranges: The score ranges are guidelines based on internal myFICO analysis of actual applicant approvals, and having a FICO Score in a particular range does not guarantee you will be approved for credit cards recommended in that range. These ranges were not provided by any card issuer.

* For complete information, see the terms and conditions on the credit card issuer’s website. Once you click apply for this card, you will be directed to the issuer’s website where you may review the terms and conditions of the card before applying. While myFICO always strives to present the most accurate information, we show a summary to help you choose a product, not the full legal terms - and before applying you should understand the full terms of products as stated by the issuer itself.

Copyright ©2001-2015 Fair Isaac Corporation. All rights reserved.   | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Sitemap

IMPORTANT INFORMATION: All FICO® Score products made available on myFICO.com include a FICO® Score 8, along with additional FICO® Score versions. Your lender or insurer may use a different FICO® Score than the versions you receive from myFICO, or another type of credit score altogether. Learn more

FICO, myFICO, Score Watch, The score lenders use, and The Score That Matters are trademarks or registered trademarks of Fair Isaac Corporation. Equifax Credit Report is a trademark of Equifax, Inc. and its affiliated companies. Many factors affect your FICO Score and the interest rates you may receive. Fair Isaac is not a credit repair organization as defined under federal or state law, including the Credit Repair Organizations Act. Fair Isaac does not provide "credit repair" services or advice or assistance regarding "rebuilding" or "improving" your credit record, credit history or credit rating. FTC's website on credit.