Credit Card Center Advertiser Disclosure

Established Contributor
0 Kudos

Re: FICO vs. FAKO – Share your FAKO stories

[ Edited ]

The fako part was what gave it away to me Smiley Wink. Generally, when I did look at CK, my fako scores were much lower. 

Amex Green • Amex BCP • Amex HH (Surpass®) • Barclay Rewards • Chase World of Hyatt • Capital One Quicksilver • Discover it • PENFED Platinum Rewards • Marvel MC • Amazon Store • Kohls Store • CL $92,130 • Car Loan (PENFED) 1.99%

FICO® Scores 790+
New Contributor
0 Kudos

While I didn't check any "FAKO" scores, I am subscribed here to MYFICO and the scores that were shown to me from the finance company (auto lease) were EXACTLY what was shown on MYFICO. 

So, that was reassuring in regards to what MYFICO offers versus other sites, although again, I can't compare how accurate my FAKO scores were/are as I just didn't check.

Community Leader
Senior Contributor
0 Kudos

I notice some posters hate the reference Fako... "Fico is Fico, Vantage is Vantage, Proprietary is Proprietary, etc". I have read that some are hoping "Vantage takes a larger share of the market to eliminate Fair Isaac's current corner". Some people have said "At least Vantage includes such items as the effects of a global recession in their scoring model". and that "Fico's model just let's those (affected) pay some more in interest".  Some could say "This thread is another action to hold FI's current share in the market" which to me, makes good business practice.  

I don't care about this competitive stuff (i use myFICO to monitor Fico scores($25 per month) and others to monitor Vantage3 scores(free)).  But it may make sense.  

IMO there are so few variables in a credit report, writing a piece of credit risk software is (these days) child's play. Fair Isaac being around since 56' and Vantage being so new to the industry (06' i think) is a factor.  Judging by the 4 to 5x increase in stock value ($95 from $22) since the recession... you guys are doing great!   :]    congrats!

thoughts?

New Contributor

The only thing that worries me from Vantage's perspective is if it grows and becomes more accepted, how many credit monitoring sources do I need to really monitor my credit? 

This may be one of those cases where less is more, where competition and variety just means more headaches from my perspective.

There comes a point--at least from the creditor's perspective--that there really will be too much of a good thing.  In other words, if there are too many risk models out there, one could literally shop around until they see an answer that they want to see and not necessarily one that is truly representative of that risk, and that can be dangerous.

It gets to a point where everyone is emphasizing a different piece of the overall risk pie as I'm sure all of these models probably look at the same thing, but just weigh things differently.  How many ways can you cut that pie?  There is a finite limit.

While I'm not saying monopolies are a good thing, but when it comes to credit-risk models, there really could be too much of a good thing. 

Senior Contributor

1. Where did you get your FAKO score?
  2. Which FAKO score did you receive and from which bureau?
  3. Where did you get your genuine FICO® Score?
  4. Which FICO® Score did you receive and from which bureau?
  5. What type of loan/credit were you applying for? (type, rate, terms, etc. are all helpful)
  6. Share your FAKO story (What was your first impression when you received your FAKO score? How did you figure out that it was not a FICO® Score or that it was different than a FICO® Score? How did the FAKO score impact your loan/credit experience? )

1  My very first score I ever looked at was from CreditKarma  Smiley Happy  (765)

2  CreditKarma, Credit, Quizzle, CreditSesame

3  From the lender after a credit card application

4  Amerian Express - Experian

5  BCP

6  When I saw my Fako scores I was like ..oh .. not to bad as it was in the 750-760 range. But then when I received my true Fico from Experian through Amex I was shocked as this was 800+ at that time  (bankcard version)  Smiley Happy 

Move the mouse over the cards for detailed view!
....Last HP 01 NOV 2016...............
0 Kudos

1. Credit Karma
2. Transunion 692 & Equifax 715
3. MyFico.com
4. Transunion 630 & Equifax 642 Experian 637
5. None
6. I haven't tried to apply for any loans yet, but I would like to apply for an auto loan and a mortgage down the road within the next few years. This is why I didn't mind paying the $30/month to get my real scores. In addition, I also get the other versions such as Auto, Mortgage, and Credit Card FICO versions.

Regular Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi there. FAKO scores from CK-TU584/EQ652...CS-TU584...CR.com-687...CreditWise-672....Fico8 today4/5/16 from CCT-TU624/EQ648/EX658....I applied for a loan thru Upstart...their criteria was a score of 640 was needed....i was denied CC back on 2/1/16 and denial letter had TU score at 666. Being I know my TU score is always the lowest...i applied for the loan...i was denied bc my score was reported to them from TU as 621. So im not sure is Cap1 uses a diff model but i can't picture my score being that much diff between the 2.....idk

STARTING SCORES-5/2015 TU:492-EQ:502-EX:511----FICO8-7/12/16-TU:649-EQ:634-EX:651
0 Kudos

Credit karma says I am 608 TU,  my CCT FICO says 675, capitalone creditwise vantage score 3.0 shows 613 and my barclays card credit score says 676.  I recently applied for a car loan and it came back with 670TU from NavyFed. So all the ones excluding CK and Capone are pretty close.

0 Kudos

Scores:

Equifax:

fako:583 fico:628

Transunion:

fako: 607 fico:617

Experian:

fako: ? fico: 631

All the fako stuff is based on credit karma. 

Valued Contributor
0 Kudos

Don't really have much of a story because a couple of years back when I started fixing my credit, I found this site first and learned the difference immediatey. From that point I ignored anything that wasn't Fico, so I was never caught off guard.

Amazing, the ddifferences you see though.
EX 08 Fico: 729 TU 08 Fico: 735EQ 08 Fico: 740Total Credit Line: $128,600Utilization: 6%Inquiries:EX-6TU-7EQ-5

Forums posts are not provided or commissioned by FICO. Forums posts have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by FICO. It is not FICO's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.

† Advertiser Disclosure: The listings that appear on myFICO are from companies from which myFICO receives compensation, which may impact how and where products appear on myFICO (including, for example, the order in which they appear). myFICO does not review or include all companies or all available products.
‡ Credit cards for FICO Score ranges: The score ranges are guidelines based on internal myFICO analysis of actual applicant approvals, and having a FICO Score in a particular range does not guarantee you will be approved for credit cards recommended in that range. These ranges were not provided by any card issuer.

* For complete information, see the terms and conditions on the credit card issuer’s website. Once you click apply for this card, you will be directed to the issuer’s website where you may review the terms and conditions of the card before applying. While myFICO always strives to present the most accurate information, we show a summary to help you choose a product, not the full legal terms - and before applying you should understand the full terms of products as stated by the issuer itself.

Copyright ©2001-2015 Fair Isaac Corporation. All rights reserved.   | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Sitemap

IMPORTANT INFORMATION: All FICO® Score products made available on myFICO.com include a FICO® Score 8, along with additional FICO® Score versions. Your lender or insurer may use a different FICO® Score than the versions you receive from myFICO, or another type of credit score altogether. Learn more

FICO, myFICO, Score Watch, The score lenders use, and The Score That Matters are trademarks or registered trademarks of Fair Isaac Corporation. Equifax Credit Report is a trademark of Equifax, Inc. and its affiliated companies. Many factors affect your FICO Score and the interest rates you may receive. Fair Isaac is not a credit repair organization as defined under federal or state law, including the Credit Repair Organizations Act. Fair Isaac does not provide "credit repair" services or advice or assistance regarding "rebuilding" or "improving" your credit record, credit history or credit rating. FTC's website on credit.