Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Finally approved after many tries.....BUT

tag
kenduc
Established Member

Finally approved after many tries.....BUT

I have horrible credit(557 TU). Well not horrible. Just very little credit and the little i have, is not in the greatest shape. Been trying to get approved for a loan for a while now. Tried local Credit Union, a few dealers. Applied to CapOne and got approved for $24k(weird). 

BUT @ 20.91%. 

Desparate need of a car and not sure what to do. 20.91% is ridiculously HIGH

Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

Re: Finally approved after many tries.....BUT

@kenduc wrote:

I have horrible credit(557 TU). Well not horrible. Just very little credit and the little i have, is not in the greatest shape. Been trying to get approved for a loan for a while now. Tried local Credit Union, a few dealers. Applied to CapOne and got approved for $24k(weird). 

@BUT @ 20.91%. 

If you can't get approved with a better rate perhaps you can go with this for a few months and then refinance.

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 2 of 14
kenduc
Established Member

@pizzadude  Thinking the samething but man, those few months gonna be a tough pill to swallow. How long before you can refiance?

Message 3 of 14
CAnNY
Frequent Contributor

Make sure you don't go in too upside down, so when you refinance in 6 or so months you don't have to come out of pocket much if at all. 

Starting Score: TU 489 EQ 561 EX unknown (2/24/2013)
Current Score: Lender Pull (11/15/13) EQ 702, TU 679, EX 684
Goal Score: 720

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 4 of 14
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

@kenduc wrote:

@pizzadude  Thinking the samething but man, those few months gonna be a tough pill to swallow. How long before you can refiance?

There no waiting period required.   You'd just need to refi as soon as someone offers you a decent interest rate.

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 5 of 14
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

@kenduc wrote:

@BUT @ 20.91%. 

Have you considered just getting a beater until you can get your score to something that will get you better rates? If you go with financing a $24k auto loan over 48 months at 20.91% the payment will be $742.02.  If you go 60 mths the payment is $648.07.  Plus insurance. Plus repairs during the term.

It is very, very easy to be quite a bit upside down at these types of rates....

Spend the time getting your credit up to mid 600's so you can get a decent rate and not put youself in such a spot.

Don't put yourself in a bind with a high payment because you are then setting yourself up for failure.  Or, if not failure, a very stressful time.

Message 6 of 14
cappaccinodagreat
Valued Member

I agree with the poster above me. I say get a cheap used car during your rough credit stretch. Wait out a big car purchase until you are comfortable with the terms. And even then, keep working on credit score and refinance in 6 months to a year.

Message 7 of 14
lajntx
Frequent Contributor

As with the other posters, if you CAN afford to pay cash - find someone to make cash payments on a beater for now, then that is the best option. Before going down the "legalised theft" route, if you have never been deliquent on a past car loan with Ford, you might try them at a larger dealership first. They probably could get you into a better new or newer certified used car at around half of that ( or better ) under one of the sub prime packages Ford Credit is pushing hard on right now.

EQ- 647, EX- 641, TU- 644
Sept `13 - ZERO Debt, 100% Liquid, AND a climbing credit score. Eat your heart out Dave Ramsey!
Message 8 of 14
aubie1kenobie2
Frequent Contributor

Even of you can refinance after 6 months, will your baddies (assuming there are some) or whatever it is that is pulling your score down change significantly over the next 6 months? You don't want to get stuck with a loan with those rates if you cannot refinance.

Starting Score: No credit history in July 2013, 663 in August (lender pulled)
Current Score: 773 (Discover FICO), 749 (DCU EQ)
Ultimate goal: Buy a house in 2016!
Message 9 of 14
kenduc
Established Member

@aubie1kenobie2. I actually only have 1 baddies, thats getting resolved now & and a school loan i have NEVER made payments towards for 5yrs(Lol). Im working on both but thanks for the advice

Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.