cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

First Time Auto Loan- Chances of Approval?????

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

First Time Auto Loan- Chances of Approval?????

Hello, I'm new to this forum and will be buying a new car in the next month or so.

I sold my car for $3000 and have until Nov. 15th to find a new one, so this will be my down payment.

I'm nervous about financing because it is my first auto loan and my credit scores aren't that great.

I just pulled scores today, and Equifax is showing 645 and Transunion 676.  (free credit report was showing Experian- 685, Equifax- 685, Transunion- 681)

I'm looking into getting a Honda Civic, Toyota Corolla, or a Hyundai Elantra, so something under $20,000

I have a stable job and make around $42k a year.  I have student loans and cc debt- that's what's hurting my score so much, and the length of my credit history.  I have no late payments, and 1 collection from 3.5 years ago from th university health center (was only $70 and was paid)

What are my chances of getting approved, let alone what kind of interest rate am I looking at?

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
Elcid89
Contributor

Re: First Time Auto Loan- Chances of Approval?????

You chances of approval should be good with your cash downpayment and your scores. Your rate will vary depending on the lender. The F&I guy will normally shop the paper around trying to get you the best rate, so try and see what he can come up with.

FICO 04 scores: 809 (EQ) 812 (EX) 818 (TU)

Amex Platinum NPSL - Citi HHonors Sig. $58k - BMW Ultimate $40k
Chase Sapphire Preferred $62k - Merrill Lynch + Signature $41k - USAA Rate Advantage $28k
NFCU Flagship Signature $50k - USAA Cash Rewards AMEX $28k
Citi Platinum Select / AAdvantage Signature $31k - Chase Amtrak Rewards World MC $41k

Message 2 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

I think you have a good shot at approval! Good luck!

Message 3 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

I was thinking about going to a credit union first. There's probably no way I would qualify for the specials with 0% or 1.9% financing, is there?
Message 4 of 12
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:
I was thinking about going to a credit union first. There's probably no way I would qualify for the specials with 0% or 1.9% financing, is there?

Not certain on this, Toyota (TFS) and likely other dealer lenders have some aggressive promo pricing right now, this is perhaps especially true if you're willing to pickup a 2012 model which I'd really recommend anyway in Nov/Dec when you're trying to get a first auto loan done.  Dealers will be absolutely incented to try to get you financing rather than a 2013 which are moving off the lots by the lease / rapid turnover folks.

I'm not certain from your post if you were looking used or new, but special financing is usually on new cars from the manufacturer's financing arm.  

That said, even if you dn't get a great interest rate out the gate (you may not, the first time buyer penalty is non-trivial on an auto-enhanced score), you can refi anyway... and I absolutely recommend attempting to secure financing from a local CU.  Having a relationship with a decent CU is nothing but goodness when it comes to your financial future.

Also, welcome to the forums!

        
Message 5 of 12
creditnocash
Valued Contributor

from what ive read tfs is 650 for top tier financing. but...

from what ive read tfs is 650 for top tier financing. but the guy at the dealer told me i just made top tier with a 708. (700 being qualifing for top tier)

i belive i read honda was 680. 

Current: Fico ScoresEQ~706 TU~719 EX 709 4/28/23

Inquiries (24 Months): EQ 0 TU 0 EX 0| Most Recent: A LONG WHILE
Over 12 Months:0

2023 Goals:
Buy A Home
Earn Cash Back

Amex Zync(Unicorn)
Chase Freedom$1500
Discover IT$7,400
Citi DC $10,000
Citizens Mastercard$7,000

Message 6 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm definitely looking for a new car. Thank you everyone for the advice so far!

Would my auto enhanced score be a lot lower since I've never had an auto loan before? That's what I'm worried about, and now that I sold my car i really do only have the 4-6 weeks to buy so not any time to raise my score.
Message 7 of 12
Elcid89
Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

That one is a toss-up question, but if I had to guess, I'd guess that you have a better shot at a premium tier with a captive lender as opposed to a credit union. You can always try both and choose the better package.

Inquiries for auto loans within any 45 day period count as a single inquiry for the purpose of calculating your score, so you have some leeway to shop around. I'd shop it to the credit union and have the F&I guy at the dealer shop it to all of his buyers. See what comes back.

FICO 04 scores: 809 (EQ) 812 (EX) 818 (TU)

Amex Platinum NPSL - Citi HHonors Sig. $58k - BMW Ultimate $40k
Chase Sapphire Preferred $62k - Merrill Lynch + Signature $41k - USAA Rate Advantage $28k
NFCU Flagship Signature $50k - USAA Cash Rewards AMEX $28k
Citi Platinum Select / AAdvantage Signature $31k - Chase Amtrak Rewards World MC $41k

Message 8 of 12
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

The approval I don't think is in question, it is the rate that the purchase can be made at.  You will get approved, but you want the best deal.  That old CO, have you sent a GW to them to see if they'll delete?  That could give you a boost!

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 9 of 12
creditnocash
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
I'm definitely looking for a new car. Thank you everyone for the advice so far!

Would my auto enhanced score be a lot lower since I've never had an auto loan before? That's what I'm worried about, and now that I sold my car i really do only have the 4-6 weeks to buy so not any time to raise my score.

its a ymmv thing. 

ive never had any installment loans and pulled my credit from here the morning of and dealership pulled my reports about 2 hours later. 

tu was 690 eq 689   dealer said it was 708 tu pull. 

even though later i saw they pulled all three of my reports twice! (one from dealer and one from toyota financial) 

Current: Fico ScoresEQ~706 TU~719 EX 709 4/28/23

Inquiries (24 Months): EQ 0 TU 0 EX 0| Most Recent: A LONG WHILE
Over 12 Months:0

2023 Goals:
Buy A Home
Earn Cash Back

Amex Zync(Unicorn)
Chase Freedom$1500
Discover IT$7,400
Citi DC $10,000
Citizens Mastercard$7,000

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.