cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

First-Time Buyer: A Few Months Out, Best Moves to Make in Preparation?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

First-Time Buyer: A Few Months Out, Best Moves to Make in Preparation?

Hello everyone! I’ve done some searching for other threads on first-time buying and have gained some new insights but I would really appreciate any insight, tips or useful info you can offer. Smiley Happy

Quick Background: My current car has been going downhill for a little while, but it’s finally reached a point where any more major repairs don’t make sense for what it’s worth (’98 Accord, 271K miles, terrible paint, engine seals leaking, etc, etc). I’d had a goal in mind of buying a brand-new or not-so-old used car by the end of this year, but after just plunking $300 more in repairs, I’d like to accelerate that plan to sometime around Spring/Summer. I'm not looking for anything fancy, just not anything old, my time of beater cars is over. I'm not tied to any car in particular, but was thinking something along the lines of a Honda Fit, Kia Soul, Ford Focus/Fusion, etc.

My utilization on my cards is currently very high, around 80%, a downside of Christmas + textbooks (no financial aid here) + car repairs all in quick succesion. My aim right now is, of course, to bring them all down asap, in addition to continuing to build my down payment savings. As far as that goes, I will have $2,000 for sure, hoping to have $4,000 by the time I’m ready to make a move. I saw the drop in my score the past 2 statements as I wasn't able to pay down enough as I intended, so I know they're not the greatest right now.

Buying for the first time I know tends to favor having a co-signer, but that isn’t an option for me. My mom has a current auto-loan out but has also been semi-recently been laid off, so she’s having her own financial up & downs, which without knowing her current score, I’m sure have hurt her a bit. My SO has no credit history to speak of, but I’ve finally been able to convince him to set aside part of his tax refund to get a secured card. So I’m getting him on the right path but useless to me for this, ha.

I have no previous installment loans or student loans. My sister would almost definitely add me as an authorized user to her Barclaycard (forgot the limit, I beleive $1,5-2000) if I asked, but I'm not sure if that would help or hurt, doing it just a few months before.

Cards: $500 limit Cap One QS | $500 limit Verve |$410 limit Open Sky Secured | Fingerhut $700 limit (shows as retail card on my Exp, not sure it it’s truly seen as a CC to most)

Oldest Account: 1 year, 9 months

Average Age of Accounts: 10 months

FAKOs: CK 584 TU & 616 EQ | Credit Sesame 584 | Credit.com 659 | Cap One CT: 603

FICO (Experian) Score 8: 636

No negative accounts on my report nor any late payments. I make around $22,000 a year and currently live with my SO’s family. My rent is extremely negligible nor am I on their lease. I understand saying you pay little to no rent is actually a negative for buying a car..? I would think just saying I pay more than I do would be the easy solution, but then I obviously don’t make a whole lot, and then that would make me seem like I have less income to go towards my payment.

Thank you for reading this far! I’m looking for any type of helpful information; Aside from lowering my utilization, are there any other smart moves I should make that can have a positive impact on my score? I’m assuming getting a new card, while helping to lower my util., would be a bad idea a few months out from applying for financing..? I am currently in school part-time, do any automakers offer anything geared towards students, any little thing would be helpful. Any particularl pitfalls to avoid?

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: First-Time Buyer: A Few Months Out, Best Moves to Make in Preparation?

Guessing maybe there isn't much more I can do than what I'm planning? Any words of wisdom from anyone who was in a similar situation?

Message 2 of 3
Appleman
Valued Contributor

Re: First-Time Buyer: A Few Months Out, Best Moves to Make in Preparation?

The forum community always seems to support those who are looking for advice when purchasing a vehicle. I will at least get things rolling with a few suggestions.

Spend the time educating yourself. Posting here is a great start. If you have your choices narrowed down to a few options, research those cars. Go to the forums specific to those models and spend a little time reading. Visit a site like KBB.com, Truecar etc. This should give you information about the cost of the car, available options and approximately what other people have paid.

Also, I recommend that people google 'car sales training', 'auto finance training' anything along those lines. If you are buying your first car, so much happens that it can be easy to be taken advantage of at a dealership. Watch a few of the training videos and see what techniques the salesman are going to use to get you into their car. It can be hard to not be emotional about such a big purchase and the car saleman will use that to their advantage.

If you are able, see what kind of financing you would qualify for online. Capitalone has a pre-qualification site that only does a soft inquiry. Doesn't hurt you doesn't cost you.

Some manufacturers have a first time buyer program (Hyundai comes to mind). 

I wish you luck, please keep us updated on your progress. Sorry to hear about your Mom's work situation.

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.