Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

First Time Car Buyer

tag
Schwartzinator
Frequent Contributor

First Time Car Buyer

I am a college student and have typically secured a great job on campus over the summer. That didn't happen. Instead, I've recieved a job offer that's off campus, but I don't have a car. My parents have a very old Accord 2002 or 2003? with 67k miles that they'd sell me for $3,000 if I wanted it. They even "prequalified" me for 0% financing for a year. Now, I could just pay them the $3,000 outright, but I am wondering if it would be better to get an installment loan reported on my credit profile?

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: First Time Car Buyer

Are you in California? I'll buy that Accord Smiley Very Happy

It's always preferred to always have at least 1 installment loan. They don't always have to be cars though. As my father's installment loan is financing of some new appliances.

Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Schwartzinator wrote:

I am a college student and have typically secured a great job on campus over the summer. That didn't happen. Instead, I've recieved a job offer that's off campus, but I don't have a car. My parents have a very old Accord 2002 or 2003? with 67k miles that they'd sell me for $3,000 if I wanted it. They even "prequalified" me for 0% financing for a year. Now, I could just pay them the $3,000 outright, but I am wondering if it would be better to get an installment loan reported on my credit profile?

I doubt that you can acutually get a 0% loan on a 15 year old car but if you can then sure its a good thing to have.  Having an installment loan history is a good thing for credit, personally I would pay cash for the car and join Alliant and do a secured savings loan ($500), pay it down 95% and build your installment history that way.  The advantage is also no interest because of the way you would pay it down and then you would have a multi year installment loan without having to have a lien on the car and the insurance requirements that come with liens etc.

Message 3 of 10
DeeBee78
Valued Contributor

@Schwartzinator wrote:

Sorry, but no one reputable is going to finance a 15 year old Accord. Great cars though. My mom held on to her (new at the time) 1987 Accord until 2007. 

I would stick with the Bank of Mom and Pop for this one. If you jwant to have an installment loan reporting on your credit, I suggest you search the forums for "Shared Secured Loan" and see how to get one reporting for several years, at the cost of only a few dollars. 

Message 4 of 10
Aprile421
Regular Contributor

I believe his 0% financing was a tongue in cheek thing. His parents are offering him the 0% financing not a bank Smiley Happy

Message 5 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

That isn't necessarily true, many reputable lender's will still offer great financing on older models. My credit union has no vehicle age limit and offer's 3.09% financing for up to 63 month's on older vehicles. I financed my 2005 model vehicle through them at 3.05% for 63 month's a few year's ago (rates have changed a tad since then).

Message 6 of 10
DeeBee78
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

That isn't necessarily true, many reputable lender's will still offer great financing on older models. My credit union has no vehicle age limit and offer's 3.09% financing for up to 63 month's on older vehicles. I financed my 2005 model vehicle through them at 3.05% for 63 month's a few year's ago (rates have changed a tad since then).

You financed a 9 year old car. Depending on the vehicle, that isn't unreasonable. Many luxury vehicles still command a decent resale value. We have a 2003 Porsche 911 Carrera 4 that still Kelly Blue Books for 24K. 

OP is was asking about financing a 15 year old Accord, which could have very different lending standards than the 9 year old car you financed 3 years ago. Plus there are better options for installement loan reporting. 

Message 7 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Dee,

As I mentioned in my comment my credit union has no vehicle age restriction's. So I was simply stating that there are credit union's on there that will finance a vehicle no matter the age as long as credit isn't an issue, DTI is inline, and LTV ratio's are fine. Credit union's will most definately finance vehicle's of that age. I was using my situation as an example, and I fully understand the vehicle in question is older than what mine was, I was simply giving an option.

Another option (depending on your savings) would be to take out a secured loan from your personal bank and use your saving's as collatoral. This will result in a VERY low rate, and an installment loan reporting on your bureau's which will help with scoring if that is what you are wanting.

Message 8 of 10
dabrian
Frequent Contributor

Buy the Accord from Mom and Dad. Great credit scores can be achieved without installment loans.
NFCU Sig Cash-20k/ Amex BCP-19.4k/ Amex Costco-1.2k/Chase Marriott-12k/CSP-13.4k/ Freedom-5.5k/ Discover IT-14k/NCSECU-5k/Walmart-10k/Lowes-25k
Message 9 of 10
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

Just sort the installment part of the scorecard with a share secured loan.  Cheaper that way and every bit as effective if not more score wise.

I have a different opinion than some as I've been in the dirty scorecards for years, but when I can move even my dirty file by 22 points on FICO 8, worth doing.

Method:
http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Understanding-FICO-Scoring/Adding-an-installment-loan-the-Share-Secu...

        
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.