Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

First Time Car Buyer

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

First Time Car Buyer

Hello!

Background: As you guys can tell im in the process of hopefully buying my "first" car by then end of this year. I say first in quotations because I already have a vehicle that I have 1 more month to pay off, and it's a Tote The Note with a lot of rip-offs and high interest rates of course. It's a Mitsubishi and I purchased it on a whim and was desperate to get one at the time. So me almost paying this car off will actually give me the chance I have been waiting for, in getting everything that I want and be worth it.

This is my first time being on myFico and I wanted to know do they give pretty accurate scores?? I have Credit Karma but they are always way off in someway. I have been working on my credit since I was 18 and I'm 21 now and I have made mistakes and have learned my lesson lol. I'm back on track now. I'm trying to qualify for a $20,000 auto loan with hopefully a low interest rate, at the most I can afford $400 monthly but would prefer of course lesser than that.

My question is,if anyone knows, what should my credit score be at or range of.For me to qualify for a $21,697 vehicle with an interest rate less than 8%. I'g going to put down $1,500 - $2,000 downpay and get a 60-month loan term too.

My scores right now are:

EQ:610

TU:622

EX:601

I'm still in the process of raising them.

Thank You!

3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: First Time Car Buyer

You need scores of at least 650 (and 670 would be better) across the board to get prime or near-prime rates on a new car. Slightly higher to get prime or near-prime on a used car. 

Work on the scores first. It will be worth it when you get the payoff in the form of a low interest rate on the car of your dreams. 

Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

If you are about to pay off your car, you need to make sure you have an installment loan reporting. If the car is your only one, search here for Shares Secured Loan. It will keep you from losing points when the car is paid off. Yes, sounds odd, but paying off your car could cause your score to drop
Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thats what I was thinking it needed to be in the range of. and the car is used 2017.

Thank you Deogratias.!Smiley Very Happy

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.