Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

First car buy!

tag
chadwick
New Contributor

First car buy!

Hey everyone. I'm about to purchase a used car and I think I've found the one I want. It's a 2009 Honda Civic Hybrid with about 50k miles. It's from a dealership and it's a certified pre-owned. Listed for $14,991.

My questions are about financing and getting the best price. This is my very first car purchase, all by myself (I'm 24). I'm a member of both USAA and NFCU, but I just applied for a loan with USAA tonight. Waiting for approval tomorrow sometime. Unfortunately I didn't see the car I want in their Car Buying Service but not sure if that gives much of a discount or not. Should I apply for a loan with NFCU also and see who gives me the best rate, and have them bid against eachother, or do that with the dealership? I just don't want a million inquiries after this.

For this car, KBB lists the "sweet spot" at $14,295. Should I ask the dealer to match that or beat that? Here's the link for with the price ranges.

http://www.kbb.com/honda/civic/2009-honda-civic/hybrid-sedan-4d/?condition=very-good&vehicleid=22664...

Not sure if I should go in for a test drive, or communicate by email beforehand and get a final price set? Tips and advice are much appreciated! Smiley Happy

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

Re: First car buy!

A million inquiries are expected when car shopping.

Absolutely do NFCU as well, and if you don't have a stellar rate let the dealership run your credit as well.  It'll all get rolled up into a single inquiry if you do them within a specific time period: it's two weeks grace period on even the oldest of the FICO algorithms in use ('98) and a month or longer on the modern  and very prevalent '04 and '08 versions.

        
Message 2 of 4
Dustink
Valued Contributor

I would get as close to the $11k private party value as possible because that's the most it is worth to you after you leave the lot. Plus you will have tt&l.

Too many INQs & low AAoA so I'm off to tend the Garden.     Age:23    

$17k       $8.5K          Closed          $19k      $6.5k        $24.2k        Closed         $5k       Closed     $8.5k        Closed      @2.49%
Message 3 of 4
SamsungHDTV
Established Contributor

negotiate price via email and to all the dealers in your area.

@chadwick wrote:

Hey everyone. I'm about to purchase a used car and I think I've found the one I want. It's a 2009 Honda Civic Hybrid with about 50k miles. It's from a dealership and it's a certified pre-owned. Listed for $14,991.

My questions are about financing and getting the best price. This is my very first car purchase, all by myself (I'm 24). I'm a member of both USAA and NFCU, but I just applied for a loan with USAA tonight. Waiting for approval tomorrow sometime. Unfortunately I didn't see the car I want in their Car Buying Service but not sure if that gives much of a discount or not. Should I apply for a loan with NFCU also and see who gives me the best rate, and have them bid against eachother, or do that with the dealership? I just don't want a million inquiries after this.

For this car, KBB lists the "sweet spot" at $14,295. Should I ask the dealer to match that or beat that? Here's the link for with the price ranges.

http://www.kbb.com/honda/civic/2009-honda-civic/hybrid-sedan-4d/?condition=very-good&vehicleid=22664...

Not sure if I should go in for a test drive, or communicate by email beforehand and get a final price set? Tips and advice are much appreciated! Smiley Happy

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.