Valued Member
chadwick

First car buy!

Hey everyone. I'm about to purchase a used car and I think I've found the one I want. It's a 2009 Honda Civic Hybrid with about 50k miles. It's from a dealership and it's a certified pre-owned. Listed for $14,991.

My questions are about financing and getting the best price. This is my very first car purchase, all by myself (I'm 24). I'm a member of both USAA and NFCU, but I just applied for a loan with USAA tonight. Waiting for approval tomorrow sometime. Unfortunately I didn't see the car I want in their Car Buying Service but not sure if that gives much of a discount or not. Should I apply for a loan with NFCU also and see who gives me the best rate, and have them bid against eachother, or do that with the dealership? I just don't want a million inquiries after this.

For this car, KBB lists the "sweet spot" at $14,295. Should I ask the dealer to match that or beat that? Here's the link for with the price ranges.

http://www.kbb.com/honda/civic/2009-honda-civic/hybrid-sedan-4d/?condition=very-good&vehicleid=22664...

Not sure if I should go in for a test drive, or communicate by email beforehand and get a final price set? Tips and advice are much appreciated! :smileyhappy:

Revelate

Re: First car buy!

A million inquiries are expected when car shopping.

Absolutely do NFCU as well, and if you don't have a stellar rate let the dealership run your credit as well.  It'll all get rolled up into a single inquiry if you do them within a specific time period: it's two weeks grace period on even the oldest of the FICO algorithms in use ('98) and a month or longer on the modern  and very prevalent '04 and '08 versions.

Starting Score: EQ 561, TU 567, EX 599* (12/30/11, EX lender pull 12/29/11)
Current Score: EQ 04 679, EQ 8 703, TU 708, EX 702* (05/30/14, EX older)
Goal Score: 700 in all three (01/01/15)

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Valued Contributor
Dustink

[ Edited ]

I would get as close to the $11k private party value as possible because that's the most it is worth to you after you leave the lot. Plus you will have tt&l.

Too many INQs & low AAoA so I'm off to tend the Garden.     Age:21    

$14k          $8.5K          $7.5k          $7.5k         $6.5k             $6k             $5k            $5k             $5k              $5k           NPSL       @ 0%
Established Contributor
SamsungHDTV

negotiate price via email and to all the dealers in your area.

chadwick wrote:

Hey everyone. I'm about to purchase a used car and I think I've found the one I want. It's a 2009 Honda Civic Hybrid with about 50k miles. It's from a dealership and it's a certified pre-owned. Listed for $14,991.

My questions are about financing and getting the best price. This is my very first car purchase, all by myself (I'm 24). I'm a member of both USAA and NFCU, but I just applied for a loan with USAA tonight. Waiting for approval tomorrow sometime. Unfortunately I didn't see the car I want in their Car Buying Service but not sure if that gives much of a discount or not. Should I apply for a loan with NFCU also and see who gives me the best rate, and have them bid against eachother, or do that with the dealership? I just don't want a million inquiries after this.

For this car, KBB lists the "sweet spot" at $14,295. Should I ask the dealer to match that or beat that? Here's the link for with the price ranges.

http://www.kbb.com/honda/civic/2009-honda-civic/hybrid-sedan-4d/?condition=very-good&vehicleid=22664...

Not sure if I should go in for a test drive, or communicate by email beforehand and get a final price set? Tips and advice are much appreciated! :smileyhappy:

I'm a personal banker and do a lot of auto loans serving the Houston area.
I suggest first time car buyers to read the sticky guide in the auto loan section.
I try to check these forums often, but if I missed your post, please feel free to message me with a link to it.

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+