Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

First time auto loan

tag
dabrian
Frequent Contributor

Re: First time auto loan

Find something on CLfor under 2k with your income.  When your income increases over time you can afford nicer vehicles.

NFCU Sig Cash-20k/ Amex BCP-19.4k/ Amex Costco-1.2k/Chase Marriott-12k/CSP-13.4k/ Freedom-5.5k/ Discover IT-14k/NCSECU-5k/Walmart-10k/Lowes-25k
Message 11 of 15
zeusta20
Established Contributor

I was in your shoes at one point. When I was 20, (almost 23 now), I had great credit. My income wasn't too bad either for my age. I tried to finance a 2011 Hyundai Sonata, and they wouldn't allow me to. Not because of my credit score, but because I had only established credit for two years. I was even going to do a down payment of 4k, and that still wasn't enough. They said I'd need around 7k or 8k in order to be approved on my own.

Unfortunately for me, I have the best credit in my family, so a cosigner wasn't going to be able to work for me.

Now that i'm almost 23 (in july), I'm actually currently in the process of getting a car. To this day, I have yet to have a car loan on my credit. So when I apply, I'm still a little worried wondering if 5 years makes a bigger difference than just 2 years of credit history. I have 6 credit cards (two of which I just got in march) and 1 unsecured personal loan (which I got in October 12'). I'm HOPING this is enough credit history to finance a car. WE WILL SEE!

For your age, I'd just stick to some super cheap. If you have the luxury of a cosigner, then by all means, DEFINITELY use that as a resource.

Bank of America Cash Rewards Visa Sig-15k
Chase Sapphire Reserve Visa Infinite-10k
Chase Freedom-4k
1st Financial Bank USA-11.4k
USAA Amex-7.5k
USAA Visa Sig-7k
Citi Thank you Preferred-4.8k
Citi Diamond-2k
Amex Gold-NPSL

FICO8-11/2017
EX: 737
EQ: 722
TU: 735
Message 12 of 15
Chevy94
New Visitor

Be careful with having so many from what I've learned so far between 2-4 cards are good I believe. And thanks everyone fir your input Ill just save and get the 87 Monte Carlo I originally wanted. After that ill be able to get another job and get in a dealership.
Message 13 of 15
jm00ser
Regular Contributor

I think you'll be happier down the road with the decision. Believe me, I know I was there when I was young! Had a 1990 Volvo 240 for a while, then a rust bucket 94 Isuzu Rodeo before I had my job and had credit to get a used 05 Acura TL back in '09!

In full gardening/ debt annihilation mode! (4/15/13)
Notre Dame FCU Visa 0/2k (8/04); CapOne Best Buy 800/1.5k (7\06)
Citi Thank You World MC 4800/9.7k (1/11); Amex Zync NPSL (9/11)
Chase Freedom Visa 1600/3.8k (9/11); Chase Southwest RR Premier Visa Signature 4300/10.7k (6/12); Discover It 0/3k (7/12)
EQ: 751 (4/1/13) EX: 742 (4/8/13) TU: 732 (4/8/13)
Message 14 of 15
zeusta20
Established Contributor

@Chevy94 wrote:
Be careful with having so many from what I've learned so far between 2-4 cards are good I believe. And thanks everyone fir your input Ill just save and get the 87 Monte Carlo I originally wanted. After that ill be able to get another job and get in a dealership.

Oh, I am. I'm very meticulous when it comes to my credit.

but really?? I've heard 3-5...I'm already pretty much at my limit. I was stopping at 5, but then I heard about the rewards combo with the CSP and the Freedom. I had gotten the CSP, so I HAD to get the freedom. Now that i'm at 6, I'm pretty much set. No need for any other cards. I don't wanna have a lot of credit cards anyways. Even now, I don't even carry all my cards with me. I only carry 3 out of the 6 that I have. lol. CSP, Freedom, and my AMEX.

Bank of America Cash Rewards Visa Sig-15k
Chase Sapphire Reserve Visa Infinite-10k
Chase Freedom-4k
1st Financial Bank USA-11.4k
USAA Amex-7.5k
USAA Visa Sig-7k
Citi Thank you Preferred-4.8k
Citi Diamond-2k
Amex Gold-NPSL

FICO8-11/2017
EX: 737
EQ: 722
TU: 735
Message 15 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.