Frequent Contributor
dabrian

Re: First time auto loan

Find something on CLfor under 2k with your income.  When your income increases over time you can afford nicer vehicles.

NFCU Sig Cash-20k/ Amex BCP-19.4k/ Amex Costco-1.2k/Chase Marriott-12k/CSP-13.4k/ Freedom-5.5k/ Discover IT-14k/NCSECU-5k/Walmart-10k/Lowes-25k
Established Contributor
zeusta20

I was in your shoes at one point. When I was 20, (almost 23 now), I had great credit. My income wasn't too bad either for my age. I tried to finance a 2011 Hyundai Sonata, and they wouldn't allow me to. Not because of my credit score, but because I had only established credit for two years. I was even going to do a down payment of 4k, and that still wasn't enough. They said I'd need around 7k or 8k in order to be approved on my own.

Unfortunately for me, I have the best credit in my family, so a cosigner wasn't going to be able to work for me.

Now that i'm almost 23 (in july), I'm actually currently in the process of getting a car. To this day, I have yet to have a car loan on my credit. So when I apply, I'm still a little worried wondering if 5 years makes a bigger difference than just 2 years of credit history. I have 6 credit cards (two of which I just got in march) and 1 unsecured personal loan (which I got in October 12'). I'm HOPING this is enough credit history to finance a car. WE WILL SEE!

For your age, I'd just stick to some super cheap. If you have the luxury of a cosigner, then by all means, DEFINITELY use that as a resource.

CL-5kNPSLCL-3.6kCL-4kCL-7.5kCL-7kCL 7.9kCL-4.2k
GARDENING SINCE 07/13/13
New Visitor
Chevy94

Be careful with having so many from what I've learned so far between 2-4 cards are good I believe. And thanks everyone fir your input Ill just save and get the 87 Monte Carlo I originally wanted. After that ill be able to get another job and get in a dealership.
Regular Contributor
jm00ser

I think you'll be happier down the road with the decision. Believe me, I know I was there when I was young! Had a 1990 Volvo 240 for a while, then a rust bucket 94 Isuzu Rodeo before I had my job and had credit to get a used 05 Acura TL back in '09!

In full gardening/ debt annihilation mode! (4/15/13)
Notre Dame FCU Visa 0/2k (8/04); CapOne Best Buy 800/1.5k (7\06)
Citi Thank You World MC 4800/9.7k (1/11); Amex Zync NPSL (9/11)
Chase Freedom Visa 1600/3.8k (9/11); Chase Southwest RR Premier Visa Signature 4300/10.7k (6/12); Discover It 0/3k (7/12)
EQ: 751 (4/1/13) EX: 742 (4/8/13) TU: 732 (4/8/13)
Established Contributor
zeusta20

Chevy94 wrote:
Be careful with having so many from what I've learned so far between 2-4 cards are good I believe. And thanks everyone fir your input Ill just save and get the 87 Monte Carlo I originally wanted. After that ill be able to get another job and get in a dealership.

Oh, I am. I'm very meticulous when it comes to my credit.

but really?? I've heard 3-5...I'm already pretty much at my limit. I was stopping at 5, but then I heard about the rewards combo with the CSP and the Freedom. I had gotten the CSP, so I HAD to get the freedom. Now that i'm at 6, I'm pretty much set. No need for any other cards. I don't wanna have a lot of credit cards anyways. Even now, I don't even carry all my cards with me. I only carry 3 out of the 6 that I have. lol. CSP, Freedom, and my AMEX.

CL-5kNPSLCL-3.6kCL-4kCL-7.5kCL-7kCL 7.9kCL-4.2k
GARDENING SINCE 07/13/13

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+
}