Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

First time auto loan

tag
Chevy94
New Visitor

First time auto loan

I'm looking for a bit of advice on auto loans. I have a credit score around 750 but I'm only 19 and had credit history for about a year. The only downfall is I work part time and make only 8.50/hr with about 25-30 hours per week. I would like to get an auto loan from my credit union but not sure how it works. Do I ask them if they'll finance me for a certain used vehicle that's about 20,000? Or will they just tell me how much they're willing to loan me?
Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
maiden_girl
Valued Contributor

Re: First time auto loan

You won't be able to finance alone 20k working part time at 8.50 an hour. You will need a co signer. Banks take into account your annual income and total hours worked plus expenses such as rent and utilities. .your annual income if my math is correct is only around 10k..have you considered getting a junker?
As of 2017, rebuilding...
Message 2 of 15
jm00ser
Regular Contributor

Credit score while important, is defintely not the most important factor of qualifying for a loan. Believe me, you don't want a car payment being close to 40 percent of your take home! (PErsonal experience...)

I'm assuming you're full time and at 8.50 after takes you're looking at maybe 1100 for the month. You want to finance 20K and let's just say with a cosigner you get an APR of 8%, you're looking at a $350 payment!

I agree with the other response, there are very good reliable used cars out there that can be had for what you can afford right now!

In full gardening/ debt annihilation mode! (4/15/13)
Notre Dame FCU Visa 0/2k (8/04); CapOne Best Buy 800/1.5k (7\06)
Citi Thank You World MC 4800/9.7k (1/11); Amex Zync NPSL (9/11)
Chase Freedom Visa 1600/3.8k (9/11); Chase Southwest RR Premier Visa Signature 4300/10.7k (6/12); Discover It 0/3k (7/12)
EQ: 751 (4/1/13) EX: 742 (4/8/13) TU: 732 (4/8/13)
Message 3 of 15
maiden_girl
Valued Contributor

@jm00ser wrote:

Credit score while important, is defintely not the most important factor of qualifying for a loan. Believe me, you don't want a car payment being close to 40 percent of your take home! (PErsonal experience...)

I'm assuming you're full time and at 8.50 after takes you're looking at maybe 1100 for the month. You want to finance 20K and let's just say with a cosigner you get an APR of 8%, you're looking at a $350 payment!

I agree with the other response, there are very good reliable used cars out there that can be had for what you can afford right now!

+1

And yes, lenders don't only take your FICO score into consideration. What they are looking for is account age and a long history of timely payments..a person with a 660 FICO and 18 years of history will get a better rate than a person with a FICO of 750 and 1 year of history...

As of 2017, rebuilding...
Message 4 of 15
Volpes
Regular Contributor

Some financial gurus say no more than 20% of your monthly net income. I suppose there are some exceptions, like recent graduates, home owners with paid off mortgages, if one spouse earns far more than the other, etc.

Keep in mind:

Insurance... full insurance is required by law, since technically you do not "own" a car not paid off. It can also be expensive depending on where you live in the States. I recommend you go online and run a basic insurance quote for whatever car you may consider. Strangely enough I did this once, a Hyundai Elantra vs. Sonata - the Elantra's premium was $20/month more (thats $1200 over 5-years).

Maintenance and fuel cost... SUVs require more service, and everyone knows they consume more fuel.

If you can, put money aside, into a savings account for example, to see how comfortable you will be with a car loan payment. I would do this for at least 1 year.

Message 5 of 15
Chevy94
New Visitor

That was going to be my next question, if I go directly to the credit union and ask them to find me a vehicle do I still need a down payment? Also I found that for the vehicle I looked at my insurance would be about 273 monthly. Honestly I was curious to see if I could get something a bit more recent or just get a bit more money to go with what I have and buy an older vehicle if its well maintained
Message 6 of 15
Chevy94
New Visitor

I also forgot to add that I don't have any other expenses currently. My friends and I are staying in my mothers owned house and since we split the bills we don't really come out of pocket much
Message 7 of 15
Mike360
Frequent Contributor

Even with no monthly bills and no credit card debt you're still gonna need a co-signer due to not enough credit history and lack of income.

Message 8 of 15
Chevy94
New Visitor

I understand that much and was expecting it. I won't ask for as big of a loan because I will be living out of my means. Do financial institutions give small loans where I could write a check to a private seller or would it be considered a high risk?
Message 9 of 15
sccredit
Valued Contributor

@Volpes wrote:

Some financial gurus say no more than 20% of your monthly net income.

IMO 20% for a car payment is way too high. 

Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.