cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

First time buyer, a question about auto loans..

tag
MannyG
Established Member

First time buyer, a question about auto loans..

I was told to try to get a loan from your bank or credit union before the dealer or a company like Capital One(ironically sent me a pre approval letter for a loan up to 30k with a 14% interest rate.. Lmao.. Really? I didn't think my credit was THAT bad.. I heard a bank would give you MUCH better rates.. I heard anything above 8% is too much..

I have no prior auto loans nor do I own a house. My credit score is only 679.. It would be much better if I paid down some debt...

anywho, would I have a better chance at my bank that I have been with for well over 10 years? I have been using direct deposit for  over 10 years so they should know I get income. I gross about 40k year.. I've had the same job for 8-9 years.. However I don't have that much in my bank account, roughly around 12k..

what is the process? What kind of questions are they gonna ask me..

the amount if the  loan I would need is only about 11 or 12k at most.. I want a used car that cost 13,500. I'm assuming after tax, title and fees it will be around 16k.. I plan on putting a down payment of 3-4k as that the most I can do right now..

any suggestions or opinions, thanks

Starting Score: 677
Current Score: 704
Goal Score: 725

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
Remember0
Valued Contributor

Re: First time buyer, a question about auto loans..

What's your rent and aggregate minimum payments on all credit cards as of your last statement (even if you pay in full every month)?

In general, yes, apply at a local bank/CU before going to a dealer. Personally I recommend DCU. Is that 679 your FICO? What bureau? (Your signature says 704 for some reason) DCU gives anyone who has a 675+ EQ (when they pull) 1.24% for 65 months (0.50% higher if you don't move direct deposit to DCU). If you have just under 675 when they pull, they offer 3.74% for 65 months with direct deposit. They're usually the lender I suggest to people with scores like yours. If they give you 3.74%, you can apply to a local bank/CU if you want too...1 more inquiry won't hurt much if at all.

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.