Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

First time car buyer, need advice!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: First time car buyer, need advice!

Thanks alot for the info dvroberts81, right now my income is at 30k. I think I should get pretty good rates with other places. I wish the car I wanted was through ford, but its not :-\. You've given me hope that I can get a good interest rate on my own.

Thanks again!

Message 11 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

I am glad I could contribute. Just remember that an STI will be much higher in insurance costs. Test drive a wrx and a (06+ and makes sure that it is a gt model, na model is sloooooowwww) Subaru Legacy GT. The legacy is quicker then the WRX but will be much cheaper on insurance and doesnt attract as much unwanted attention. I know how you feel, I was afraid to ask for a loan too, especially with such low score but it seems as some cash in the form of downpayment will buy you a loan. Try searching local Fords dealers used car lot, you might get lucky and find a nice subaru there.
Message Edited by dvroberts81 on 12-19-2008 12:16 PM
Message 12 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yea definitely! I'm wanting to buy the STi model because im currently under my parents insurance policy, and the difference between the wrx and the sti is only 20something dollars a month. If for some reason I dont get approved for the sti model, I will go for a 06+ wrx.

Thanks again for all the help!

Message 13 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

It's also possible that your short job history may be causing difficulty getting the car loan.  When I was 24 I was attempting to finance my first car, a 2006 Subaru Forrester, and I could not because I had only be in my job for about 4 months.  Even though I was making 36K that was the reason I was denied. 

I used my father for a co-signer, something I actually recommend.  The reason I say this is because I was able to get 5.24% for 60 months out of my then insurance company, State Farm.  I don't know what the rates would be right now with the current economy, but I don't see anything wrong with getting a co-signer, as long as you understand that if you default you're ruining your co-signer's credit as well.  

My father knew I would go without food before I stopped making payments on the car, which is the only reason why he co-signed.  And even though I would have liked to do it without him, it got me the car I wanted with a lower interest rate.  And I wasn't too prideful not to take advantage of that situation.  

Message Edited by woopah on 12-29-2008 06:20 AM
Message 14 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.