cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

First time using auto financing...do I have an auto enhanced score?

tag
hsiaokou

First time using auto financing...do I have an auto enhanced score?

In a few weeks I am going to be applying for auto financing through Toyota.  This will be my first time buying a new car.  Previously, I have always purchased used and paid cash.  I have never had an auto loan.  I am worried about my auto enhanced beacon score.  Would I even have one?  In terms of installment debt, I only have student loans.

I am in Ohio and Toyota here goes through Trans Union. Would Toyota Financing just use my regular FICO score?

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Walt_K
Senior Contributor

Re: First time using auto financing...do I have an auto enhanced score?

Assuming you meet the criteria to have a FICO score, you will have an auto-enhanced FICO score.  But it may be lower than your normal FICO since you have no auto history. 

Starting Score: ~500 (12/01/2008)
Current Score: EQ 681 (04/05/13); TU 98 728 (01/06/12), TU 08? 760 (provided by Barclay 1/2/14), TU 04 728 (lender pull 01/12/12); EX 742 (lender pull 01/12/12)
Goal Score: 720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 9
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@Walt_K wrote:

Assuming you meet the criteria to have a FICO score, you will have an auto-enhanced FICO score.  But it may be lower than your normal FICO since you have no auto history. 

I agree, you may have to put a sum of money down on the vehicle but you should be able to be approved.

Do you have any reolving credit in your name??

Any installment loans??

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 3 of 9
hsiaokou

Here is an update:

On 10/01/2012, I applied online to TMCC (Toyota Financial).  I was told that I would have an answer in one business day.  I then let the person at the dealership (who had let me do a test drive a few weeks prior) know I applied on line and I would keep him updated.  Initially, I was declined because I have a fraud alert and TMCC could not get a hold of me.  I updated my telephone number with Trans Union after they verified my identity by answering a series of questions.  The salesperson I dealt with told me that he could get me financed with Capital One.  I told him no way, TMCC only.  I then asked him how Cap One got my information.   He said he sent them my "profile."  I immediately sent a text to the salesperson telling him that I did not want any other financing aside from TMCC and I do not want a bunch of inquiries on my credit report.  I wanted some sort of proof of my demand.

I found out that my enhanced auto beacon is 654.  Agreed to the financing and down payment.  I did not give them the down payment, telling them I would bring in cash the next day.

Fast forward to today...

I went to the dealership today to pick up my new Camry Hybrid.  While on the way, my iphone indicated that I had 6 unread emails.  When I pulled up to the dealership, I sat in my car and read them.  Turns out I was receiving updates to my Trans Union credit report.  The previous day, 6 inquiries were made (to various banks) on my credit file.  I was like **bleep**!

Not being able to stay calm, I walked into the dealership and wanted some answers.  I told them that I was canceling my sales contract.  I left.  I called my attorney right away.  He informed me that I do not have a right to cancel a auto sale in the State of Ohio.  He said I can sue in civil court for unauthorized inquiries on my credit report.

The manager of the dealership told me that he cannot remove the inquiries.

I sent an email to the dealership telling them that they had to remove the 2 inquiries they were responsible for (their dealership and parent company) and that if they don't, not only will I seek a civil remedy, I will not bring in my down payment.

Any other advice?

Message 4 of 9
hsiaokou

Yes, I have revolving credit and student loans as installment loans.

Message 5 of 9
Walt_K
Senior Contributor

@hsiaokou wrote:

Here is an update:

On 10/01/2012, I applied online to TMCC (Toyota Financial).  I was told that I would have an answer in one business day.  I then let the person at the dealership (who had let me do a test drive a few weeks prior) know I applied on line and I would keep him updated.  Initially, I was declined because I have a fraud alert and TMCC could not get a hold of me.  I updated my telephone number with Trans Union after they verified my identity by answering a series of questions.  The salesperson I dealt with told me that he could get me financed with Capital One.  I told him no way, TMCC only.  I then asked him how Cap One got my information.   He said he sent them my "profile."  I immediately sent a text to the salesperson telling him that I did not want any other financing aside from TMCC and I do not want a bunch of inquiries on my credit report.  I wanted some sort of proof of my demand.

I found out that my enhanced auto beacon is 654.  Agreed to the financing and down payment.  I did not give them the down payment, telling them I would bring in cash the next day.

Fast forward to today...

I went to the dealership today to pick up my new Camry Hybrid.  While on the way, my iphone indicated that I had 6 unread emails.  When I pulled up to the dealership, I sat in my car and read them.  Turns out I was receiving updates to my Trans Union credit report.  The previous day, 6 inquiries were made (to various banks) on my credit file.  I was like **bleep**!

Not being able to stay calm, I walked into the dealership and wanted some answers.  I told them that I was canceling my sales contract.  I left.  I called my attorney right away.  He informed me that I do not have a right to cancel a auto sale in the State of Ohio.  He said I can sue in civil court for unauthorized inquiries on my credit report.

The manager of the dealership told me that he cannot remove the inquiries.

I sent an email to the dealership telling them that they had to remove the 2 inquiries they were responsible for (their dealership and parent company) and that if they don't, not only will I seek a civil remedy, I will not bring in my down payment.

Any other advice?

Just let it go.  It's really not worth fighting over.  First, I'm not sure they didn't have permissible purpose.  You submitted an app.  How do you know that the inquiries occurred after you told them not to pull anymore rather than before?  They may have already shopped the loan around which is completely normal.  In any event, FICO will only score 1 of those inquiries.  It will ignore the other 5 for scoring purposes.  So this isn't hurting your FICO score.  Moreover, inquiries are only scored for one year (though they remain on the report for two years).  It will take you about that long to try to fight all of this, so even if you could be successful, you'd get your resolution about the same time the inquiries would stop having an effect in any event.  Plus, if you dispute inquiries with the CRAs, it can often trigger fraud alerts which can cause a bunch of other headaches. 

Inquiries aren't as big of a deal as people sometimes make of them around here.  Just let this one go and enjoy your new car.

Starting Score: ~500 (12/01/2008)
Current Score: EQ 681 (04/05/13); TU 98 728 (01/06/12), TU 08? 760 (provided by Barclay 1/2/14), TU 04 728 (lender pull 01/12/12); EX 742 (lender pull 01/12/12)
Goal Score: 720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 6 of 9
hsiaokou

It's the principle. I filled out my app on line through toyota financial. The dealership said they needed my ss# and DOB to pull the app. Unbeknownst to me, and w/o written permission, the dealership tried to shop around.

I get everything you are saying. I already have a fraud alert on my credit file as I am a previous victim of I'd theft.

Anyway, my attorney is talking to their attorney.
Message 7 of 9
tylaw13
Regular Contributor

You really over reacted and for no reason. That is what dealers do they send your info out to alot of financing places and wait for them to respond and choose the best one. Once you told him to stop sending your info out he probably already sent it to a bunch of places. When your shopping for a car loan and all your inquiries are done within i think 2 weeks, then FICO counts them as one. Yes youll see a bunch of inquiries on your report but they are counted as one for your score. Honestly what would you get out of sueing them? With scores like yours you cant demand the best financing either you pretty much are at the banks mercy.

EQ FICO - 725 (9/11/13) TU FICO - 724 (6/27/13) EX FICO (6/30/13) 755 AMEX
Im my wallet - Cap1 Platinum MC(2000) Chase Freedom(1500) AMEX BCE (7000) Discover IT (8000) CSP (15000) Cal Coast CU (8000)
Message 8 of 9
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@hsiaokou wrote:
It's the principle. I filled out my app on line through toyota financial. The dealership said they needed my ss# and DOB to pull the app. Unbeknownst to me, and w/o written permission, the dealership tried to shop around.

I get everything you are saying. I already have a fraud alert on my credit file as I am a previous victim of I'd theft.

Anyway, my attorney is talking to their attorney.

Walt's assessment was correct: while the principle of it is absolutely in question, there's no harm done to you or your credit score (or even your credit report) by what the dealership did.  

I don't think getting laywers involved is going to be beneficial (and may have a very real downside if the dealership/TFS aka TMCC take exception and decide to play hardball) and in either case ultimately won't accomplish anything besides possibly some satisfaction and paying additional money for your car, but to your lawyer instead.  I'd just let it go and enjoy the new ride.

        
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.