Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

For the best deal you need to do this:

tag
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

Re: For the best deal you need to do this:

You could have gotten a better deal.

I was discharged Jan 09 and bought a used Venza Jan 2011. My interest rate is 7.14%

The F&I guy started at some outrageous double digit interest rate and gave the exact same reasons you mentioned in your post.

I just kept saying "no". I finally got up to leave and that is how I ended up with the 7.14%....Remember, the F&I guy lies every time he opens his mouth. The F&I guy gets paid a fat commission to charge you a premium par rate (that's a polite way of saying an interest rate that is more than market).

BTW, I have read others on this site do better with their interest rate right after BK than the rate I got. However, they spent a whole lot more than I did by buying a new car (I only buy used).

Go refi your car as soon as you can.

Message 21 of 23
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

Interesting read. I can think of only one deal that I probably could have negotiated better. I bought a used limited edition ford explorer sport track with 38k miles for about 22k. I probably could have gotten it cheaper; but availability was the main issue. I got it in 2011. I just did a search on auto trader and they are selling for 24k and up now. Ive had the truck a yr and a half and I have had 4 people ask me about the truck and who want a similar one to mine.

My sales guy knocked 1k off of their asking price because that was the second car I had bought from him and I told him he needed to keep earning my business Smiley Wink the guy calls me on my care's birthdays.

The first car I got from him was an 08 volvo s40 and I paid 19k. I shopped 6 dealerships before coming back to work up a deal. I told him I needed to think about it and walked out; but I came back and bought it... it was great because he.was so low pressure. He wanted me to find a car that just fit. I drove tons of cars that day and this one was the cheapest but also the most fun to drive

it sells for about 17k now on autotrader. These are both vehicles that we will keep in the family for a long time
FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 22 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

@jamie123 wrote:

Revalate,

Sorry I was writing my previous post when you posted.

I was just trying to get the point across that I would negotiate 18 deals in a week. At 1 negotiation a year, I was being generous to most auto buyers. It is probably closer to 1 negotiation every 3 years.

Some people are great negotiators, but most are not. One customer comes to mind. Started negotiations at Saturday 3PM. Negotiated until 9PM Saturday. (Dealership closed at 8PM) They came back Sunday and we negotiated from 12 noon until 3PM when we finally came to a deal. They probably could have received the same deal over the internet in a few e-mails.

Just so you know....I was personally out of the deal in the first half hour. What I mean is my commission was given away in the first half hour but I had to keep the negotiations going until we had a deal. I made my guaranteed commission, $100 plus minimum wage for all that time. The dealer still made money, they NEVER lose money.

Ok, I hear you. Here is my situation:

I want to buy 2013 nissan altima 2.5 SL with tech package. I know being new there is no room for negotiation but I would be driving this car till it dies off. I currently drive 1998 Accord which is on its last legs. I teid getting an internet quote but no (3) dealership is providing me with the price. I had specifically asked for the each and every fees and charges that is required by law to be paid by the buyer. They say it is not their policy to provide prices over the phone or emails. Is that true? or those are shaddy dealerships? Also I have researched the invoice price online so in my case how much to start the negotiation with? $500 above invoice? I am located in central jersey area if that matters. One dealership also claims to find one out for me and get it in 2 business days but I've to go there and the irony here is Nissan customer service representative does not know when the tech package will be delivered since it is in back order. So what should I understand from this. Being a sales person at a dealership what do you thing this is going on here?

Also my cousin is in market for a used CRV and he has contacted several dealerships but noone is providing him the price either. He has checked dealerships all the way till up state NY and that dealership too is asking him to drive up there just to get the price on that car and he lives in PA. He does not have car currently and he and his wife are managing on one car so driving all the time just to be turned down or having outrageouse price is insane.

Another question does anyone know when the tech pacakge will be available in central NJ? Anybody who has already received it or is expecting the delivery soon?

Message 23 of 23
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.