GM Financial approved me-unsure what to do

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: GM Financial approved me-unsure what to do

@6speed8 wrote:

Retired mechanic/service advisor/service manager here. Questions:

- Which model Kia?

- Who did the brakes and what parts did they use ? Did they use "Joe's Brake Pads" or did they use something of quality if not original Kia pads ? We have a 2012 Kia Forte SX 5 door. I replaced the brake pads with Auto Zone C-Max Gold. which I used on our previous 2008 Hyundai Sonata with great results as well.  Original pads would have done just as well. From what you're saying, the brake system may not have been bled properly. AND most likely from your description, poor quality pads that have now glazed so they overheat constantly and will give you longer stopping distances and a spongy pedal. Once brake pads glaze - meaning they've overheated and the resin which bonds the friction material together, has "risen to the surface" and has transferred to the rotors, reducing friction. It's almost like squirting oil on the brakes. I would suggest replacing the brake pads and considering the cost of resurfacing rotors versus what they can be had for new, replace them as well and brake them in properly. Two or three hard stops from 50 mph with a couple of miles cool down in between stops. Then just go easy on them for a couple of hundred miles. I'd be willing to bet doing that will solve your brake issues.

Also, to agree with other comments, keep the Kia. Rolling negative equity into the  will just have you in the same spot in no time. For the hell of it and to further my point, I just checked kbb.com for the trade in value of a 2015 Sonic LTZ automatic is only between $8000-$9000. So with that negative equity, what type of down payment do you plan on? Something tells me with the negative equity rolled in without a substantial down-payment, will get you payments on the new Sonic that aren't much better than what you're paying and you'll just be starting the negative equity roller coaster all over again. Not to mention Chevy's warranty doesn't come close to Hyundai/Kia.

Model is Rondo. You were correct, brakes were not bled poperly. I have Joes brake pads on the car but it is fine now. Warranty is up in 1,700 miles on my KIa. Your post is not pointles; I greatly appreciate your input. In your expert opinion do you think the Rondo is relaible long term? 

Actually the payments on the new Sonic would be a little higher in the low 300's but has a new car warranty.  But in another context; borrowing almost 20K on a Sonic does not sound appealing  unless there was no other option.

Message 11 of 17
6speed8
Regular Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@6speed8 wrote:

- Which model Kia?

- Who did the brakes and what parts did they use ? Did they use "Joe's Brake Pads" or did they use something of quality if not original Kia pads ? We have a 2012 Kia Forte SX 5 door. I replaced the brake pads with Auto Zone C-Max Gold. which I used on our previous 2008 Hyundai Sonata with great results as well.  Original pads would have done just as well. From what you're saying, the brake system may not have been bled properly. AND most likely from your description, poor quality pads that have now glazed so they overheat constantly and will give you longer stopping distances and a spongy pedal. Once brake pads glaze - meaning they've overheated and the resin which bonds the friction material together, has "risen to the surface" and has transferred to the rotors, reducing friction. It's almost like squirting oil on the brakes. I would suggest replacing the brake pads and considering the cost of resurfacing rotors versus what they can be had for new, replace them as well and brake them in properly. Two or three hard stops from 50 mph with a couple of miles cool down in between stops. Then just go easy on them for a couple of hundred miles. I'd be willing to bet doing that will solve your brake issues.

Also, to agree with other comments, keep the Kia. Rolling negative equity into the  will just have you in the same spot in no time. For the hell of it and to further my point, I just checked kbb.com for the trade in value of a 2015 Sonic LTZ automatic is only between $8000-$9000. So with that negative equity, what type of down payment do you plan on? Something tells me with the negative equity rolled in without a substantial down-payment, will get you payments on the new Sonic that aren't much better than what you're paying and you'll just be starting the negative equity roller coaster all over again. Not to mention Chevy's warranty doesn't come close to Hyundai/Kia.

Model is Rondo. You were correct, brakes were not bled poperly. I have Joes brake pads on the car but it is fine now. Warranty is up in 1,700 miles on my KIa. Your post is not pointles; I greatly appreciate your input. In your expert opinion do you think the Rondo is relaible long term? 

Actually the payments on the new Sonic would be a little higher in the low 300's but has a new car warranty.  But in another context; borrowing almost 20K on a Sonic does not sound appealing  unless there was no other option.

I have perosnal experience with the Rondo but I do with other Hyundai/Kia products as a consumer and a mechanic with older ones. We had a 2008 Sonata for 4 years and 120,000 miles before trading it for the 2012 Forte. It was very reliable and in fact, ran across it while searching Hyundai dealer inventories. It was at a dealer an hour or so away with 240,000 miles. There were a few "markers" on the car that I was well aware of to be certain it was our car. The Forte has almost 80,000 on it now and has been just as reliable. I added projector headlights with an HID kit, a few LED bulbs here and there and a nice set of wheels. Sharp looking little car. My other half has every intention of driving it til it drops with the way I care for it. And the brakes are great lol. A positive is I can't count the number of older, beat up, banged up, Kia and Hyundai's I see on the road. They seem to run forever if you change the fluids, timing belts (if it has a belt rather than a chain).

Yes the Sonic would have a new car warranty but it's only 3/36 bumper to bumper and 5/60 powertrain where Hyundai/Kia is 5/60 and 10/100. That alone is a better selling point for me. Yeah maybe I'm biased with the Sonata(s) and Forte but that warranty can't be beat for those of us who keep our cars long-term.

CH 7 Discharged 6/10/15
T/U - 643
EQ - 588
Ex - 647 as of 6/14/15
Message 12 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have decided to pass up on the Sonic; my wife won't let me buy it, she is right, nice little car,but too small for our needs. Drove it again and did not like it that much. I will look at Cruze, CruzeLimited, Focus ect.  If I am going to rollover significant  neg equtity, it has to be in a car that suits both the budget and one that I would like driving long-term. 

Message 13 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

TRADE IT!! 18% IS WAAYYYY TOO HIGH. Basically you will be paying less. Ipay off is $7500 but that means if you paid it off now. If you continue monthly payments you will be paying way more than 7500. Much better to get the new car and roll in the balance at much lower interest rate
Message 14 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

I am going to keep it for now. Car has been running well. Am I going to keep it to end of term on the loan, No,  just try reduce the neg equity to around 3K. Maybe another year or 2 since I only drive 8-9K per year on it. Or another strategy could be to purchase from Enterprise on Black Friday; they give 1K over KBB each Black Friday. They apraised it at 2,400; by then figure it is worth 2,200 plus the 1K. That would have me roll in the least amount of neg equity possible. Loan balance is 6889 before my payment of 196.28 today. Per diem is dropping as more $ is slowly going to principal.  

Another reason I re-thought about trading it. Would I rather owe 6900 at 18% on a older car I like or over 20K at 6.9% on a car that I don't like that much.

Message 15 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

The question is, can you afford the new payment with the negative equity rolled into it, and would you be satisfied making this payment until the new car is paid off? Negative equity is bad but if you get a vehicle you love, go for it. Just don't make a habit of rolling negative equity into a loan.

This is absolutely correct. I had several cars I kept rolling negative equity into. FINALLY, I found a car I knew I would keep till paid in full. That situation also made me finance it for 7 years or 84 months. I own it now free and clear. Best part is, it only has 57,000 miles on it and is a 2007. Good Luck!

Message 16 of 17
fltireguy
Valued Contributor

@6speed8 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@6speed8 wrote:

- Which model Kia?

I have perosnal experience with the Rondo but I do with other Hyundai/Kia products as a consumer and a mechanic with older ones. We had a 2008 Sonata for 4 years and 120,000 miles before trading it for the 2012 Forte. It was very reliable and in fact, ran across it while searching Hyundai dealer inventories. It was at a dealer an hour or so away with 240,000 miles. There were a few "markers" on the car that I was well aware of to be certain it was our car. The Forte has almost 80,000 on it now and has been just as reliable. I added projector headlights with an HID kit, a few LED bulbs here and there and a nice set of wheels. Sharp looking little car. My other half has every intention of driving it til it drops with the way I care for it. And the brakes are great lol. A positive is I can't count the number of older, beat up, banged up, Kia and Hyundai's I see on the road. They seem to run forever if you change the fluids, timing belts (if it has a belt rather than a chain).

Yes the Sonic would have a new car warranty but it's only 3/36 bumper to bumper and 5/60 powertrain where Hyundai/Kia is 5/60 and 10/100. That alone is a better selling point for me. Yeah maybe I'm biased with the Sonata(s) and Forte but that warranty can't be beat for those of us who keep our cars long-term.

I wouldnt use Joes brake pads, or the Chinese AutoZOne Cmax ones either.. maybe Akebono, or Oe.. lol

NFCU $60.4k/PenFed $22.5k/Commerce $15K/53 $11K/Synovus $14K/BBT $11K/CapOne $12K/DCU $7.5K/BMO $7.5K/Chase $14.5k/Cabelas $10K/ and many many more!
Total CL $398600, plus car and RV loan.
Ooh. Ooh. Getting closer to that $500K mark!
Message 17 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.