cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gap insurance refund after refinancing???

tag
tooleman694
Valued Contributor

Re: Gap insurance refund after refinancing???

When I traded in my car a couple months ago, they use my GAP refund for the down payment on the new car I bought.

Message 11 of 15
Jutz
Valued Contributor

I'm guessing they don't just mail out a check eh?

I had GAP insurance on a car I bought in 07, owned for 18 months, and needed to get rid of it to lower payments.  It was on a 6 year term.  Do I probably have GAP insurance proration floating out there somewhere?  Not asking if I've ever seen a dime of course, just wondering if it all works the same, and I didn't do my due diligence.

• Current: EQ FICO 706, TU FICO 701, EX FICO 706 | Starting Score: 525 (05/2012)
  • Starting total revolving credit: $1100 | Current total revolving credit: $36,700
  • Inquiries (12 Months): EQ 2 TU 1 EX 1 | Most Recent: 1/21/2014
Chase Freedom $9500
DCU Visa $10000
Capital One QS $2000
AMEX BCE $3000
Lowe's CC $8500
WalMart CC $3100
BOA Platinum $600
AMEX Gold NPSL
Message 12 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Your post got my attention  b/c  it is exactly what I am doing ~ I've learned that thru a credit union , there is an option to purchase GAP ins. with the re-fi or out of pocket so not to have it rolled into the loan. Once I learned of what the Credit Union  charges for GAP( it's right online on the webisite)   I ran  to get my loan agreement to see I am paying almost 4 times as much . Even tho your post is a coupe of years past,  I have learned that I will be getting a refund for the unused portion which makes me ELATED now just b/c I felt as tho I was being over charged and now I know where those hidden charges are . I will be sure to tell people to keep a sharp eye on what your cost is for GAP Ins. as you can purchase it elsewhere, there is a timeframe .THANKS!

Message 13 of 15
mtrsprt
Frequent Contributor

Most dealers make money of selling GAP also.  Varies by state.  NH dealers usually charge about $700-800.00 for it.  In NY, it's only $200.00 and dealers can not change it.  Do yourself a favor, and buy an affordable vehicle, and a great interest rate, while putting down as much as you possibly can when purchasing.  Avoid GAP IMO.

Starting Score: 521 TU, 597 EQ, 574 EX on 6/20/2011
Current Score: 753 TU, 764 EQ, 766 EX on 02/17/2014
Goal Score: 720-740 Across the board

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 14 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

This sounds like the amount of overpayment that your Honda loan had, not GAP refund. Check your original dealer paperwork on your '09 to find the GAP company's address and ask them if you have any refund coming. Good Luck!

Message 15 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.