cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Getting a loan w/ cosigner, how does it work?

tag
reereetx
Contributor

Getting a loan w/ cosigner, how does it work?

Meaning, what score do they really look at and base rate on.  Lets say with my totally crappy score of 551....and my co-signer has a decent score in upper 600's (just guessing becasue he really isn't sure).  Do they look at the highest one then?  Pick an average?  How does that part work?  Also, the used vehicle I'm looking at is an older model vehicle (2007) Nissan Armada (supposedly hold their value pretty good) and has low miles for that year (66,000).  Asking price was $17,998 and I got the dealer down to $16,448.  Just working on trade in stuff right now but my 2007 Durango has 108,000 miles just for comparison and it's value is horrible now.  Even though it's a Limited 4x4 with the Hemi and overall still good condition.  I'll be lucky to get $10K for it I know but in 2011 when I bought it...it was around $24K which was fair value at the time.  Geez!  Anyways....the dealer is a used car dealer so not franchised.  I was approved with Roadloans on my own but it's pretty much useless becasue I can't use the loan at this particular dealer.  They do have financing options and some banks they deal with but do I wait for them to run credit app or do I try to go ahead and see what me and my co-signer can be approved for in the mean time (for instance with DCU even though I was denied on my own)?  I did some research and found that Wells Fargo was a good choice in approving loans with less than perfect credit.  Myautoloan.com was also an approved choice and gives up to 4 lenders but I think the difference with it and Roadloans is with myautoloan.com....you're free to use your loan wherever (even private party).  Any answers to the questions above would be appreciated.

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Getting a loan w/ cosigner, how does it work?

Getting a co-signer helps you lower your interest rate and another person to be responsible for your car if in case you fail to pay the car on your own.

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.