Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Getting an Auto Loan with tons of accounts

tag
NC84
Regular Contributor

Getting an Auto Loan with tons of accounts

Can having too many credit cards hurt the chance of getting an auto loan even if utilization is low? I have 8 credit cards and 6 store cards. Available credit is around 50k with $900 in credit card debt. I want to eventually try to get a truck or jeep within the next year for around 35k. I also have a used auto loan right now with a credit union for $3,400. I plan on paying it off by the time I apply for the new loan. Thanks

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Appleman
Valued Contributor

Re: Getting an Auto Loan with tons of accounts

I thought you said to many cards, I only count 14? Just kidding (mostly) as many on myFICO have many times that in accounts.

The good news is your utilization is low (a very good thing). If your credit file is new (young) or have an income that may not support the auto payment there might be a problem with a lender seeing a lot of accounts. However, if scores, DTI and income are all solid it should be smooth sailing.

Message 2 of 4
Joecooltech
Regular Contributor

14 cards is not insane but i do see where you could be worried. if your income can up hold the loan amount you seek you should be fine

Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have 30+ credit cards and had no problem in getting approved with PenFed for a $75L loan.  If you credit supports an approval and you don't have ridiculous utilization, then the number of accounts won't be an issue.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.