Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Getting denied for moderate sized auto loan despite good credit/ income

tag
Midwestsho
Established Member

Getting denied for moderate sized auto loan despite good credit/ income

Hey all. I'm a little confused here as I have great credit on all three bureaus (760 - 780), no lates, lots of credit used but paid off (credit cards with low balances, paid off auto loans, etc) and a decent age of accounts of about 10 years.  Income is a documented 200 - 250k.  Despite this, I'm getting denied for a $55,000 auto loan, first through PenFed and now through Chase.

I'm not sure what else I need to do to get approved for a loan this size.  I have a 100k line of credit that's used but pretty much always paid off.  So I can go to Chase and tell them to give me 100k for no reason at all with no security on the loan but they won't give me a $55,000 auto loan. 

Any tips here?  I'm kind of afraid of shopping around at this point for fear that new banks are going to see the credit hits from Chase and Penfed and assume I'm desperate.  

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Pway
Valued Contributor

Re: Getting denied for moderate sized auto loan despite good credit/ income

You is shopping for a auto loan and if they are coded correctly, then banks will know that you are shopping around for the best rate.  However, I would check with your credit union if you are a part of one.  I would try DCU.

Thank you for the wealth of knowledge I have learned from these forums. I am logging off as of November 9, 2022. I wish everyone great success.
Message 2 of 9
CH-7-Mission-Accomplished
Valued Contributor

What specific reasons were you given for the two declines?  It was not for your scores if they are as you state (and those are FICO scores).

Are you paid W-2 or self employed?  Did they ask for tax returns?

How much total debt was reporting and who was it owed to?

Message 3 of 9
EddieK
Established Contributor

Yes, like the others have asked, what are the denial reasons?  DCU's max loan is 50K, but I was recently approved for that amount, with lower scores and less income than yours, so if 50K will do, I'd try them.

Starting Scores:
1/19/14:

1/28/14:
2/12/14:
Current Scores:
7/10/19:
12/17/16:
9/05/17:
Message 4 of 9
Midwestsho
Established Member

No reason on either. Just a general decline.  I know Penfed goes up to 80 or 100k so I don't think it's the amount. 

Scores are FICO, I'm W2/ Distribution from an S corp but income never even factored into the equation. Total debt reported is probably 20k on an auto loan and a small amont on a card.  

Message 5 of 9
CH-7-Mission-Accomplished
Valued Contributor

They are required to provide you with an adverse action notice.  Check it out and see what it says.  Did you ask them??

Message 6 of 9
Midwestsho
Established Member

I just took a look and Penfed gave me a low average age of accounts as my reason but I can't fathom how that makes any sense.  Most of my accounts are well established with years of history, my score is great, my income is well above what's needed for the loan, I don't have any delinquincies listed, I don't have huge amounts of revolving debt and I generally have no problem securing credit.  

I just got out of a $700/ month tier one lease with BMW and they're generally pretty picky with who they'll take. This is really a surprise for me.  It's a little disheartening actually.  My biggest problem has been finding the car I want. I didn't think the loan would be an issue at all.  

Message 7 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Midwestsho wrote:

Hey all. I'm a little confused here as I have great credit on all three bureaus (760 - 780), no lates, lots of credit used but paid off (credit cards with low balances, paid off auto loans, etc) and a decent age of accounts of about 10 years.  Income is a documented 200 - 250k.  Despite this, I'm getting denied for a $55,000 auto loan, first through PenFed and now through Chase.

I'm not sure what else I need to do to get approved for a loan this size.  I have a 100k line of credit that's used but pretty much always paid off.  So I can go to Chase and tell them to give me 100k for no reason at all with no security on the loan but they won't give me a $55,000 auto loan. 

Any tips here?  I'm kind of afraid of shopping around at this point for fear that new banks are going to see the credit hits from Chase and Penfed and assume I'm desperate.  

I am puzzled at this also.

This might be a time to go into the dealership and give them permission to do just one pull with their best lender, probably the captive lender for that brand.  That would end the INQs. 

Unless there are major issues not stated, I would think the lenders would be falling over each other to get your attention.  At 55k, I am assuming you are looking at a luxury brand, and since you mentioned BMW previously, probably another European, and at that price point, it cant possibly be a Fiat!  Smiley Very Happy

You should be able to get great financing through the manufacturer on their brand and I would just tell them, you have one HP so take your best shot and make it count.  That should be able to get you the car and put a stop to further HPs for you.

GL

Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Gotta be something on ur credit that they see and not like.. So is income 200 or 250k a year?? 200 and 250 is a pretty big gap for income. That 50k is what some ppl make in a year.. U said u have a personal line of credit with chase for 100k is that used up?? Or u still have the 100k credit line?? What car r u planning to get for 55k?? Is it new or used. If used that mite be it. The bank might not think it's worth anything near ur borrowing amount and decid d not to lend to u

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.