cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Getting ready to apply for a loan (my situation)

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Getting ready to apply for a loan (my situation)

Hey guys. I'm looking for some advice, answers or words of encouragement? lol

I currently took over payments of my brothers car which is getting close to being underwater so he was asking me if I wanted to give it back to him to sell and he'll give me a % of the money I put into it. Or if I want to trade it in he'll let me trade it in for whatever car I decide to get. Since I was definitely interested in getting a newer car I decided to get a 2010 or 2011 certified pre-owned bmw.

So my situation is my current credit score (last time I checked my score was 720(6 months ago), I will check again before I apply for the loan. I currently have 4 cards (Chase Freedom 5 yrs - 1,800 credit line/owe 1,000,,, Barclays 1yr - 4,000 total credit line/owe 1,200,,,,Best Buy Card 1 yr $500 credit line/owe $150,,,, Sears Card 1 yr $1,000 credit line/ owe $500,,,,,,Not even 1 late payment on my credit score,,,,1 auto loan for $20k 5 years ago paid off early) My annual salary is about 45-50k and I've been at my job 7 years. I pay 1,200 in rent.

I have about $7k for downpayment.  I've been looking online for a 2010-2011 BMW 7 series, in my area they run about 35-45k (obviously I'm shopping for the best deal). I've been looking around at credit union rates in my area but I'm waiting another few weeks to pay down some more of my cards to bring my utilization down  to under 20%. I'm also looking at keeping my payments close to what I currently pay $500 a month.  In your guys' personal experiences, based on my situation, am I looking at a ridiculous APR? Should I save more for the downpayment or pay down my cards?  Any other advice or pointers are GREATLY appreciated. Thank you for taking the time.

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Re: Getting ready to apply for a loan (my situation)

if you buy a certified or used from bmw you can probably take advantage of special aprs through bmw financial.

if you buy through credit union, I can't imagine you not qualifying for their best auto rate with a 720 score.

Message 2 of 5
socal88

Thanks for the reply. The thing I'm concerned about is my Utilization rate vs. my Downpayment. In a perfect world I would completely pay off my CC debt and have enough for a comfortable downpayment but I don't currently have that type of breathing room. So I'm undecided in which I should focus on, paying down my debt or saving for a bigger down payment? As far as securing a loan in the 30k range, which would be the smarter thing to do?

Message 3 of 5
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

@socal88 wrote:

Thanks for the reply. The thing I'm concerned about is my Utilization rate vs. my Downpayment. In a perfect world I would completely pay off my CC debt and have enough for a comfortable downpayment but I don't currently have that type of breathing room. So I'm undecided in which I should focus on, paying down my debt or saving for a bigger down payment? As far as securing a loan in the 30k range, which would be the smarter thing to do?

I would almost bet you would have a better outcome having a much lower debt ratio and less down payment.

Message 4 of 5
socal88

Thank you for the advice!

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.