Debt-to-Income (DTI):

Year of Car:  2008 Honda Element

Miles:  87,000

Purchase/Refinance: Purchase

Requested loan term (XX Months): 4 Years

Down payment amount:  Can put up to 5k down

Co-borrower/Co-Signer: No

Other: Looking for a 12-13k loan

Can she walk into a  reputable dealer and get a loan? what kind of rates?

Established Contributor

Re: Girlfriends First Auto Loan

Have her apply at a local credit union first. 

I'm a personal banker and do a lot of auto loans serving the Houston area.
I suggest first time car buyers to read the sticky guide in the auto loan section.
I try to check these forums often, but if I missed your post, please feel free to message me with a link to it.
Community Leader
Super Contributor

As Samsung says, have her get her loan at a CU. If she goes to a car dealership there is no way she will get good terms because they will stick it to her (because they can). Car dealerships look to make extra profit through the F&I office by hitting the consumer with add on's and by bumping the rate or extending the term. She can avoid that by financing through a CU before she ever steps foot onto a dealerships lot.

Do some research on common car dealer scams before you/she buys anything so you recognize the game. Walk away when you if they try to negotiate payments rather than the price of the vehicle. The first vehicle purchase is the hardest. Make sure she has identified the exact type of vehicle and the market value before she walks in the door.

She is in good shape for decent financing with a CU. So with her CU financing she won't get hurt on the financing. She only has to watch out for the price of the vehicle. If they tell her she must get financing through them, she should walk away. See, there is a trend here Smiley Happy If they know you aren't going to put up with their games, she will get a better deal.

Epic Contributor

should not be a problem but I too would apply at a credit union to have that approval in hand and then let the dealership try to beat it.

Fico Scores: EQ- 670., TU 710 Sync, EX 728 SoFi(05/04/15)
I'm just trying to catch up to RON1
95 Cards and Counting Smiley Tongue
Advertiser Disclosure: The listings that appear on myFICO are from companies from which myFICO receives compensation, which may impact how and where products appear on myFICO (including, for example, the order in which they appear). myFICO does not review or include all companies or all available products.
† Credit cards for FICO Score ranges: The score ranges are guidelines based on actual applicant approvals and having a FICO Score in a particular range does not guarantee you will be approved for credit cards recommended in that range.

Copyright ©2001-2015 Fair Isaac Corporation. All rights reserved.   | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Sitemap

IMPORTANT INFORMATION: All FICO® Score products made available on myFICO.com include a FICO® Score 8, along with additional FICO® Score versions. Your lender or insurer may use a different FICO® Score than the versions you receive from myFICO, or another type of credit score altogether. Learn more

FICO, myFICO, Score Watch, The score lenders use, and The Score That Matters are trademarks or registered trademarks of Fair Isaac Corporation. Equifax Credit Report is a trademark of Equifax, Inc. and its affiliated companies. Many factors affect your FICO Score and the interest rates you may receive. Fair Isaac is not a credit repair organization as defined under federal or state law, including the Credit Repair Organizations Act. Fair Isaac does not provide "credit repair" services or advice or assistance regarding "rebuilding" or "improving" your credit record, credit history or credit rating. FTC's website on credit.