Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Going through Chapter 7 Bk and need a car

tag
boomhower
Valued Contributor

Re: Going through Chapter 7 Bk and need a car

If you can wait until your discharge you won't have a problem.  I financed through Mazda at 2.9% $25 with $3k/down 2 months after discharge.  I included a car in BK.  After discharge with a good downpayment you will have a lot of options.

Message 11 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

I decided to join and share our new beginning.  A few days after discharged, I did research online to locate a few dealers I thought I can interview the finance manager.  My interview was about how experienced are they with credit and banks they do business with so I can prevent them from shotgunning my application.  Questions I asked were are you experienced with fresh bk7 discharged and what banks are somewhat understanding to buy my loan?  How many years experience do you have in financing and do you have a good relationship with your banks?  Boy, I thought the first guy answering confident feedbacks turned out declining us.  Then I called around again, but these are small dealerships.  We were prepared for subprime high interest rates from the get go.  For us it was about who can buy our loan and give us a chance.  So the second small family business delalership I interviewed, said all the right things like the first one,  ok so we're a little nervous because this could be strike two and planning for our next steps on how to get to work....  so as we talked a little longer and a few phone calls back to him with final questions, talking to wife and he said one word that made me believe it's a done deal.  He mentions a fresh start program available for bk's.   got it down that same day with zero down and drove away in a VW Jetta 2016 priced at 13,995.00!   We said god bless and a big thanks to the owner for knowing his stuff on dealing with an overall get these people on a car regardless.   We will end up refi the car after 12 months so the interest is not our concern, it's being able to report to the 3 bureaus to build credibility again.  Low and behold, since we are on credit karma, we watch our credit,  once the credit union recorded the loan, our fico's jumped 60 points.  When it sowed on our reports as chapter 7, fico's were showing 420.  Super low.  Ok whatever.  That was from a big dealership.  That's the same day we purchased the VW from the small family dealership.  Three weeks after including the 60 points, our scores went up to 630!   Can you believe that?  I've read so many stories on he forum thinking, ok it will take some time like 2 years...  Surprise...  keep in mind we applied for two credit cards each separately and got them going.  Maybe that can be part of the boost too.  Anyways, I hope this will provide hope for others and to keep your head up.  Do your research, use your instincts and plan well.  It happen to us from the date of discharge up to almost one month we have a used car and credit cards to start rebuilding credit.  Don't give up and look forward😊

Message 12 of 14
bigpoppa09
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I decided to join and share our new beginning.  A few days after discharged, I did research online to locate a few dealers I thought I can interview the finance manager.  My interview was about how experienced are they with credit and banks they do business with so I can prevent them from shotgunning my application.  Questions I asked were are you experienced with fresh bk7 discharged and what banks are somewhat understanding to buy my loan?  How many years experience do you have in financing and do you have a good relationship with your banks?  Boy, I thought the first guy answering confident feedbacks turned out declining us.  Then I called around again, but these are small dealerships.  We were prepared for subprime high interest rates from the get go.  For us it was about who can buy our loan and give us a chance.  So the second small family business delalership I interviewed, said all the right things like the first one,  ok so we're a little nervous because this could be strike two and planning for our next steps on how to get to work....  so as we talked a little longer and a few phone calls back to him with final questions, talking to wife and he said one word that made me believe it's a done deal.  He mentions a fresh start program available for bk's.   got it down that same day with zero down and drove away in a VW Jetta 2016 priced at 13,995.00!   We said god bless and a big thanks to the owner for knowing his stuff on dealing with an overall get these people on a car regardless.   We will end up refi the car after 12 months so the interest is not our concern, it's being able to report to the 3 bureaus to build credibility again.  Low and behold, since we are on credit karma, we watch our credit,  once the credit union recorded the loan, our fico's jumped 60 points.  When it sowed on our reports as chapter 7, fico's were showing 420.  Super low.  Ok whatever.  That was from a big dealership.  That's the same day we purchased the VW from the small family dealership.  Three weeks after including the 60 points, our scores went up to 630!   Can you believe that?  I've read so many stories on he forum thinking, ok it will take some time like 2 years...  Surprise...  keep in mind we applied for two credit cards each separately and got them going.  Maybe that can be part of the boost too.  Anyways, I hope this will provide hope for others and to keep your head up.  Do your research, use your instincts and plan well.  It happen to us from the date of discharge up to almost one month we have a used car and credit cards to start rebuilding credit.  Don't give up and look forward😊

Congrats but don't buy into CK Skores they are Fako only worry about your true fico scores.

Message 13 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Additionally, you can build "credibility" again in other ways without taking on a high interest rate car loan. It's a common myth we see often see here. The "fresh start" dealers prey on this misconception.

Be conscious of the book value on your car compared to the loan value. You need to make sure the loan value is at or under the book value when you go to refinance or you won't be able to. So many folks get a bad car loan out of BK and say oh, I'll refinance in X months . . only to find out that they're so underwater it's not even possible.

If you now get some revolving credit going (unsecured or secured) and get your scores up, a refi is possible waaay before 12 months. You might want even want to look at prequals that don't HP like Capital One's now. 

Message 14 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.