New Visitor
Europeenne

Good credit, low income, co-signer auto loan question

hello all!

so, i have a good credit score, but low income roughly 1k a month (hard to work anymore while attending full time classes)

the dealership came back to me saying my income was a little short, and they would like to see 2k a month for financing

would it be better to go with my dad as a co-signer, who has bad credit (500's), but high income

or

a friend who has good credit, but about the same income as me 1k/month

i know my dad cosigning would shoot my APR up

but, would the dealer take into account my friend cosigners income along with my own? 1k+1k = 2k (the requirement)?

Moderator Emeritus
webhopper

Re: Good credit, low income, co-signer auto loan question

Europeenne wrote:

hello all!

so, i have a good credit score, but low income roughly 1k a month (hard to work anymore while attending full time classes)

the dealership came back to me saying my income was a little short, and they would like to see 2k a month for financing

would it be better to go with my dad as a co-signer, who has bad credit (500's), but high income

or

but, would the dealer take into account my friend cosigners income along with my own? 1k+1k = 2k (the requirement)?

You don't want your friend co-signing....   You really don't want your dad co signing either.   It would be better if your dad co signed, rather than your friend.

co signing is a really bad thing to do.

Starting Score: 08/29/2011 TU 671 EQ 674
Current Score: TU 754 EQ 694 EX 697
Wallet: NFCU Visa Sig 25k, Amex Lowes 22k, NavCheck 15k, Amex PRG, Amex Zync, Discover It 13.5k, Amazon Visa 5k
Platinum Spade Garden Club Member: App Free since 1/1/13. No more apps til who knows when?
MyFICO Fitness Goal: 800s Club!

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Regular Contributor
beautybrainsbooty

why don't you try getting a loan approved FIRST from a credit union, then buying your car. Dealerships can be so very tricky and will make you jump through hoops when you don't have too. IF you can avoid a cosigner then by all means work around it.

started mid 500's. Disputed incorrect items and within a month or two my scores have skyrocketed and continue to do so
EQ: 755 as of 8/2013
TU: 700
Experian(or as I call them, the devil) I have no clue, they haven't released my report
Goal=801 across the board!!! Not too far from this, hoping to garden until Christmas 2013
Revelate

Europeenne wrote:

hello all!

or

Welcome to the forums!

I'm not 100% positive on this but your dad's credit score may not hurt you at all.  With mortgage any joint-application (and presumably co-signed too) takes the lower of the scores; however, on auto loans specifically as has been reported on this forum it's actually reversed: the higher of the scores is used.

Again take that with a grain of salt; in some cases, most notably a student, co-signing isn't a terrible idea.  I agree though with Web family would be best; however, as a caution - absolutely make that car payment, it is never worth throwing away or damaging a relationship over co-signed finances.  Skip the friend route absolutely.

Starting Score: EQ 561, TU 567, EX 599* (12/30/11, EX lender pull 12/29/11)
Current Score: EQ 04 679, EQ 8 708, TU 711, EX 702* (07/14/14, EX older)
Goal Score: 700 on EQ '04 (01/01/15)

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+