Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Got A Car Loan In My Name For My Brother He Continue To Pay Late

tag
rsisterfaye
New Visitor

Got A Car Loan In My Name For My Brother He Continue To Pay Late

2008 got a car loan in my name for my brother, but my brother continue to pay the note late not 30 days, should I re-finance and take over the note myself to save my credit. Last fico in the mid 700. Do not want to go 2 more yrs this way.

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
dabrian
Frequent Contributor

Re: Got A Car Loan In My Name For My Brother He Continue To Pay Late

He needs to get financing in his own name if he wants to keep the car. Never cosign for anyone ever in the future.
NFCU Sig Cash-20k/ Amex BCP-19.4k/ Amex Costco-1.2k/Chase Marriott-12k/CSP-13.4k/ Freedom-5.5k/ Discover IT-14k/NCSECU-5k/Walmart-10k/Lowes-25k
Message 2 of 8
drkaje
Senior Contributor

You probably have to take over payments and beg them for some goodwill on the lates.

Sorry to say this but; there was a good reason your brother couldn't get a loan on his own. Loving him doesn't change that.

Starting Score: 675
Current Score: EX 753 FICO, EQ 737FICO, TU 738
Goal Score: 776 FICO

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 3 of 8
Simply827
Established Contributor

You should definitely take over the payments yourself; refinancing to do so isn't necessary. If you can't afford to do so, perhaps you should make your brother sell the car. You should also send a GW letter to the finance company to get them to remove the 30 day late.

Never, ever, ever cosign for anyone again in the future.

Starting Score: 515
Current Score: EQ08 711 EX08 731 TU08 735
Goal Score: 740+

Amex BCP $25k | Discover IT $15.7k | Cap 1 QS $10k | PSECU $10k | Citi DC $9300 | Citi DP $6800 | Barclay Ring $6500 | PayPal Extras MC $5045 | DCU $5000 | Chase Slate $5000 | Barclays AA $4100 | Chase Freedom $4000 | Union Plus $1000 | Target $500
Message 4 of 8
CruzImperial
Established Contributor

I'd make the payment in advance and let him pay me later. Why would you destroy your score? Refinancing is not needed Imo.
Fico Scores: . Walmart TU 748 . Garden 8/19 2014 .

Cap One Journey 500 | Discover IT 500 | GE Home Design 5.6k | GE HHGREGG 5k | Amex Zync NPSL | Amex BCE 6k | Citi Forward 4.2k | Citi Dividend 3k | GE BrandsMart 1k | GE Lowes 8.5k | Discover Walmart 7.5k | Barclays Apple 2.5k | BoA CR 2.7k | CSP 7.2k | Platinum Prestige 5k | IT Chrome 4k | Slate 2.3k |
Message 5 of 8
drkaje
Senior Contributor

I wish the "Never co-sign for anyone!" advice actually helped people.

Starting Score: 675
Current Score: EX 753 FICO, EQ 737FICO, TU 738
Goal Score: 776 FICO

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 6 of 8
webhopper
Moderator Emeritus

Definately a bad situation. Start paying the note yourself or force him to sell the car or refi into his own name. Hes screwing you over on this deal.
FICO 9:
Filed Chapter 13 on 6/1/2017 after job loss. Discharged 6/1/2022.

Goal: Gardening!

Message 7 of 8
MovingForward_2012
Valued Contributor

It sounds like OP said his brother pays late but not 30 days late yet. This would explain why his score is still mid 700's. I think he is worried about a 30 day late being reported in the future.

Your brother paying the car loan late but not 30 days late may be a warning sign. I would bring this to his attention and ask him to correct it ASAP or the car will need to be refinanced in his name...not yours.

I personally don't believe in consigning for anyone unless it is my husband or son and I have to additional income to afford the loan payments on my own. However, my uncle did finance an auto loan for me when I was under 18. I paid the car loan on time every month and eventually paid it off with a lump sum payment before I left for college.
Cards: Orchard Bank ($1100) | Cap1 Cash Rewards ($2500) | Chase Freedom ($1000) | Best Buy ($2500) | Discover It ($1000) | Barclay Rewards ($2500) | Current scores: EX FAKO: 684, CK TU: 649, FICO EQ: 680, FICO TU: 698, FICO EX: 658 Happy Homeowner Since 2/6/13! Smiley Happy Last App: 4/5/13 Gardening until July 2014
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.