cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HELP!!! Dont know what to do.

tag
josean4786

HELP!!! Dont know what to do.

Ok so I leased a 2013 VW Passat SE in 01/13 for $290 a month. The agreement is 36,000 miles for 36 months. I am in month 8 and the car currently has 12,000 miles. It looks like I will exceed the limit of 36,000 way before the 36 months. I have perfect credit (I think), 730-740 across all bureaus, never had a late payment, 6 credit cards with a total CL of $20,500, about 10% overall credit utilization, $25,000 in student loans that are currently in deferement and won't start paying until May 2014. I make about $35,000 to $40,000 a year depending the hours I put in. I rent, and do not have a mortgage.

I called VW Credit just to ask a payoff quote, and they said $23,500. I have paid 8 months already (8 x $290 = $2,320 so far).

Should I choose to re-do everything again and finance the car so at the end I will be the OWNER of the car? or just finish the lease and wait and see how much will be worth 28 months later? PLEASE HELP!!!!

I am 24 yrs old. I consider myself lucky to have the credit that I have. Amex - Gold Premier Rewards - NPSL, Amex - TrueEarnings Costco Card - $2,000, MC - BofA Cash Rewards MLB Logo - $5,000, Visa - Barclaycard - $2,400, Visa - Chase Slate - $5,400, Discover - Discover It - $5,500, Total CL - $20,300
Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

Re: HELP!!! Dont know what to do.

IMO check out financing it now rather than waiting. If you multiply the overage you project for the lease term and mulitply it by the overage charge, I think you will see that it is worth it to refinance sooner rather than later.

From what I can see if you continue to drive it as you have been for the past 8 months you will end up with 54,000 more or less at the end of your lease which is approximately 18,000 miles over your allowance. Plus they are bound to charge other fees for condition (they always find something).

What do they charge per mile for overage in your lease contract?

Message 2 of 13
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

The biggest question is CAN you afford to make the finance payments considering they will be about:

$23,500 at 60 months at a 3.5% (I would think if you are in the 720 range you should be able to achieve this or better if you belong to a credit union?) = $428.00

That's a big change from your $290!

Message 3 of 13
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

Well, Creditaddict brings up an excellent point. Big difference in monthly payments.

Message 4 of 13
Kratos-TM
Frequent Contributor

You have anyone who you can carpool with sometimes? Unless you stop driving your car, the only option is to buy it now. But 428 is a month is a nice difference from 290....

I know it's against forum belief to say this..... but going 72 months on the loan would put you closer to what you're paying.....(please forgive me forum gurus, lol). 

I would only lease a weekend/pleasure car. I would never lease a daily driver......you think because you're close to work, that'll you'll be ok, but you never will be...

Myfico scores.....
EX... 805 (11-10-13)
EQ... 810 (12-02-13)
TU... 810 (12-02-13)
Message 5 of 13
lajntx
Frequent Contributor

@Creditaddict wrote:

The biggest question is CAN you afford to make the finance payments considering they will be about:

$23,500 at 60 months at a 3.5% (I would think if you are in the 720 range you should be able to achieve this or better if you belong to a credit union?) = $428.00

Thats one way to look at it.

Or you can look at it in such a way that $138 more per month leaves you with a car that you can at least get something for it later when you trade it in rather than pay thousands and thousands in addition to handing them the keys at lease termination

EQ- 647, EX- 641, TU- 644
Sept `13 - ZERO Debt, 100% Liquid, AND a climbing credit score. Eat your heart out Dave Ramsey!
Message 6 of 13
maiden_girl
Valued Contributor

If you can afford the BUY price, look for lease buyout financing options now if you know you are going to exceed your loan agreement miles. The last thing you want is to pay for mile overages when you turn it in. It would be better to refinance now while the miles are low. If that's not something you're interested in then I would consider an early lease turn in and look at another car that you will buy retail right out the door.

As of 2017, rebuilding...
Message 7 of 13
josean4786

@StartingOver10 wrote:

IMO check out financing it now rather than waiting. If you multiply the overage you project for the lease term and mulitply it by the overage charge, I think you will see that it is worth it to refinance sooner rather than later.

From what I can see if you continue to drive it as you have been for the past 8 months you will end up with 54,000 more or less at the end of your lease which is approximately 18,000 miles over your allowance. Plus they are bound to charge other fees for condition (they always find something).

What do they charge per mile for overage in your lease contract?

sorry i've been away from the pc all day... but they charge .20 cents per mile.

I am 24 yrs old. I consider myself lucky to have the credit that I have. Amex - Gold Premier Rewards - NPSL, Amex - TrueEarnings Costco Card - $2,000, MC - BofA Cash Rewards MLB Logo - $5,000, Visa - Barclaycard - $2,400, Visa - Chase Slate - $5,400, Discover - Discover It - $5,500, Total CL - $20,300
Message 8 of 13
josean4786

@Creditaddict wrote:

in answer to the question if I can afford it, Yes. That I want to make that jump from $290 to $428, not really. It would be something I will have to consider with my wife, since the ultimate goal is to become home owners. I am preparing my credit to have a mortgage. That's why I am asking before I make any big moves credit wise.

Message 9 of 13
RefiGuy

why is that against "forum rules" to say?

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.