Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HELP! Major Car Repair Costs :(

tag
Santi78342
Established Contributor

HELP! Major Car Repair Costs :(

So I have an 05 Ford Escape Hybrid that needs a new engine. $8000!! the NADA value is $7000. I owe $9,300. I have no idea on what to do and need to know my options! 

Help Please!

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
junebug225
New Contributor

Re: HELP! Major Car Repair Costs :(

Have you tried pricing a used engine?

Fico's EQ 540 TU 529 EX 517 starting 3/2015
Fico's EQ 760 TU 775 EX 771 as of 04/204
Long term 775 across the board
Message 2 of 5
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

@Santi78342 wrote:

So I have an 05 Ford Escape Hybrid that needs a new engine. $8000!! the NADA value is $7000. I owe $9,300. I have no idea on what to do and need to know my options! 

Help Please!

drag that thing into ford and hope they give you $3k push or pull a trade or something and wrap the negative into a new ford (terrible terrible situation) but just about any new car would probably be able to eat the negative equity into a new loan... doesn't mean it's a good idea but if you need a car and you don't have cash to pay current loan off then you have few options.

Message 3 of 5
Pharoe33
Regular Contributor

Where are you located? I'm sure you could find a used engine for possibly half that price.

Message 4 of 5
Erusidhion
Frequent Contributor

New engine on fordparts.com is around $4400.00 it seems. I didn't look hard enough for other sites/reman/rebuilt motors. You have options. Credit is for emergencies like this. Perhaps you could get a personal/home equity loan at a low APR to help wtih this repair. If not; you have your credit cards. House and Vehicle; only two things in life that matter a lot. Obviously health/family/children take priority too.

http://www.car-parts.com has quite a few used engines for you. There's also LKQ. I'm in the Tampa area and I know of quite a few down here if you're nearish. Let me look up in alldata what the overhaul labor time comes out to be for you.

Labor will be about 12.8 hours for a manual and 13.1 hours for an automatic, I am assuming it's a 2 wheel drive. If it's a 4 wheel drive, 13.6 hours for manual and 14.3 hours for automatic.

A good mechanic I know only charges me 55/hour. But local Ford dealership charges 105/hour. So assuming you get the engine for about $2000:

55/hour: 2WD - Manual $704.00, Automatic $720.50

4WD - Manual $748.00, Automatic $786.50

105/hour: 2WD - Manual $1344, Automatic $1375.50

4WD - Manual $1428, Automatic $1501.50

So between $2700 up to $3600 when all is said and done. It may be more or less depending on mechanic you use or how much your local dealership charges. I know my local dealership will let you buy parts and they'll charge labor to put them in without a warranty. I am not sure they'll swap an engine if you provide it though.

That's the best educational guess I can give you going by all data and mechanic/ford dealership near me. If it's a vehicle you are going to run into the ground and you never plan on purchasing another one for a long time; it may be worth investing in. If not; maybe trade it in and see if you can get some value out of it perhaps. Also see what other vehicles for your year/mileage are going for on KBB, NADA and Craigslist.org

Now, if you had a little bit of money; you could get a used engine, get a master rebuild kit, have a machine shop go through it and hone/check everything and then have a mechanic rebuild it. But like I said it all comes down to what your future plans are for the vehicle. Plopping a used engine works too. You can always rebuild it later down the road. I am sorry about your engine though Smiley Sad

Good luck!

EQ 654 -- 43 Inquiries
TU 695 -- 54 Inquiries
EX 668 -- 50 Inquiries

Utilization: 9% AAoA: 20 months Total History: 3Y
Updated: 08/04/2017 Premier 3B
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.