Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HELP NEEDED PLEASE before I make deal

tag
bobtail
Regular Contributor

HELP NEEDED PLEASE before I make deal

Hello,

Has anyone heard of a dealer charging a security coding fee of $249.00 on the sale of a used mini van?  I offered 8500, for van.  Dealer came back with 8750. I said can not go higher, 8500 was my budget.  Dealer said ok, deal at 8500.  Now on the buyers orders is a charge of 249.00 for security coding. Is this a legit charge, or his way of getting the 8750?

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

Re: HELP Please need conformation before I make deal

@bobtail wrote:

Hello,

Has anyone heard of a dealer charging a security coding fee of $249.00 on the sale of a used mini van?  I offered 8500, for van.  Dealer came back with 8750. I said can not go higher, 8500 was my budget.  Dealer said ok, deal at 8500.  Now on the buyers orders is a charge of 249.00 for security coding. Is this a legit charge, or his way of getting the 8750?

You are SO cynical. LOL

Of course that's what the dealer is doing. It's no coincidence the $250 fee for "security coding" is the difference between what you offered and what they were asking. Call him on it.

From a BK years ago to:

9/09 EX pulled by lender 802
3/10 EQ- 800
4/10 TU -772

You can do the same thing with hard work

Credit Scoring 101
Common Abbreviations
Frequently Requested Threads
Whats In Your FICO Score

Message 2 of 12
theo78
New Contributor

Re: HELP NEEDED PLEASE before I make deal

I'm going to guess it's a junk fee....

Message 3 of 12
bobtail
Regular Contributor

I did this was his reply:

On our vehicles, the security coding is not in the retail price of the vehicle.  It is an additional charge which is only charged once in addition to the retail price.

HUH, So when first purchased is he saying the van was not coded, but his dealership did it after taking van on trade in?

Message 4 of 12
bobtail
Regular Contributor

Are these charges standard?

DOCUMENTATION    $100.00

MESSENGER             $115.00  ( THEY DO HAVE TO REG. VAN IN BOARDING STATE, I AM IN NJ, THEY IN PA)

TITLE                                85.00

REG                               100.00

He is also saying my deposit is non refundable, is that legal?

Message 5 of 12
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

@bobtail wrote:

I did this was his reply:

On our vehicles, the security coding is not in the retail price of the vehicle.  It is an additional charge which is only charged once in addition to the retail price.

HUH, So when first purchased is he saying the van was not coded, but his dealership did it after taking van on trade in?

I'd tell him my $8,500 offer is for the total purchase price including any additional charges. If they really want to sell it to you they'll take the deal. If not just walk away. There are lots of other cars for sale.

From a BK years ago to:

3/10 EQ- 800
4/10 TU -772

Credit Scoring 101
Common Abbreviations
Whats In Your FICO Score

Message 6 of 12
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

@bobtail wrote:

Are these charges standard?

DOCUMENTATION    $100.00

MESSENGER             $115.00  ( THEY DO HAVE TO REG. VAN IN BOARDING STATE, I AM IN NJ, THEY IN PA)

TITLE                                85.00

REG                               100.00

He is also saying my deposit is non refundable, is that legal?

The title and registration fees are set by law (at least here in Texas). The document fee here is negotiable and says so in a standard contract. I don't know about the messenger fee.

I'm not sure about the deposit being non refundable. That might vary from state to state. Did you sign anything saying the deposit could not be returned?

Message 7 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

@MarineVietVet wrote:

I'd tell him my $8,500 offer is for the total purchase price including any additional charges. If they really want to sell it to you they'll take the deal. If not just walk away. There are lots of other cars for sale.

+1. I recently purchased a ford freestar van. I negotiated the deal on the phone as it was an hour and a half drive to the dealership. They had the van listed ofr $9999. We told them we would pay $9000. He countered with like $9700 due to all fees. I countered and said $9500 ALL FEES INCLUDED. He agreed they worked and found us financing. We went in to do the paperwork on the loan and the car. It totalled $9599. The dealership got $9500 and there was a $99 doc fee through the bank for the loan.

Stand your ground. Tell him the price you are willing to pay ALL FEES INCLUDED. If he tells you there are extra fees tell him thank you but no thanks that there are other dealers and you will find a vehicle that fits your needs and budget. Then get up from the chair and walk. You probably wont make it out the front door before he is in pursuit of you but if you do he wont allow you to get into your car. He will accept the offer if he wants the sale. You have to be prepared to stand your ground and walk away if the deal isnt right. There are plenty of other cars.

Message 8 of 12
bobtail
Regular Contributor

Not yet but is in the buyers orders.    I said, i needed to go for luch and think it over.   I thought any contract could be cancelled within 24 hours. 

Message 9 of 12
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

@bobtail wrote:

Not yet but is in the buyers orders.    I said, i needed to go for luch and think it over.   I thought any contract could be cancelled within 24 hours. 

It seems like if you didn't sign anything about the deposit (or anything else) then the dealer is blowing smoke you know where but I don't know.This also could depend on state law.

I hope you get this worked out.

From a BK years ago to:

3/10 EQ- 800
4/10 TU -772

Credit Scoring 101
Common Abbreviations
Whats In Your FICO Score

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.