Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hail Damage to Hood

tag
babbles
Established Contributor

Hail Damage to Hood

Just For my information.  Went into a Lexus dealer on Friday and was going to do a trade.  The hood of my current HS250 Lexus had some hail damage from a few years ago to the hood and  took it to a collision place and had it repaired out of my pocket.  The sales guy has it appraised  and comes back and tells me there was damage to the hood that they could visibly see was repaired in the past.  Could it be the place I took it to be repaired reported it as hail damage???   It definitely in there eyes made a difference as they low balled me really bad on the trade.  Needless to say, I walked away from the deal anyway, wasn't meant to be I guess. 

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Loquat
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Hail Damage to Hood

Most body repair leaves behind a tell-tale sign for a trained eye.  And yes, some dealerships and body shops report to Carfax that would list certain specifics of a vehicle.  Some report maintenance and some report body work as well.

Message 2 of 6
babbles
Established Contributor

I see, two questions:

1.  Why is hail damage so significant rahter than a good reliable vehicle

2.  Is there any databases out there that I can get a VIN check on my vehicle to date?

Message 3 of 6
pipeguy
Senior Contributor

You can always buy a Carfax report - I think its about $35 but you'll see everything that being reported on your vehicle. 

Message 4 of 6
Coolermaster007
Contributor

Go to Ebay $4.99 Full Carfax reports.
Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Working at an insurance company where I constantly see diminishing value claims people think that the car suddenly lost a huge amount of value because something had to be repaired. As for why hail damage is so significant... well because they want to pay you the absolute least they can for your vehicle so they can turn around and sell it for more.. and any excuse they can use...
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.