rosie670

Hard Inquiry -or- Increased Debt Utilization?

I'm preparing to apply for auto loans next month, but desperately need a new computer. Low on cash, so I thought I'd take advantage of Apple's Barclay financing and pay no interest for a year. However, that would also obviously add a hard inquiry to my report. I have one other that is 10 months old.

My other option is to put the computer on my CC (Chase Sapphire). This would bring my credit utilization up to 30% of $8000. I had some major expenses two months ago and this is the first time in my life I've ever carried a CC balance.

So, when applying for auto loans, what looks "worse"? A recent hard inquiry? Or 30% debt utilization?

P.S. Third option, I suppose - dip into my emergency fund and have no debt, no hard inquiry - BUT also no emergency fund for at least three months until I could build it back up. (I have a steady job, but this option terrifies me)
Valued Contributor
Dustink

Re: Hard Inquiry -or- Increased Debt Utilization?

Can you get by with a cheap computer for awhile? You can find something functional for a few hundred bucks.

Too many INQs & low AAoA so I'm off to tend the Garden.     Age:21    

$14k          $8.5K          $7.5k          $7.5k         $6.5k             $6k             $5k            $5k             $5k              $5k           NPSL       @ 0%
rosie670

Thanks, that might be what I have to do, even if its not what I wanted!
Valued Contributor
Dustink

[ Edited ]

While getting by with the cheap computer. Set aside a savings for a new one. Put some extra money into it each paycheck. Then after a year or so, you will have the money to make the purchase on your chase card and pay it off within the month.

Plus, in a year the computers will be even better than they are now. Best thing to do with a computer purchase is wait :smileyhappy:

Too many INQs & low AAoA so I'm off to tend the Garden.     Age:21    

$14k          $8.5K          $7.5k          $7.5k         $6.5k             $6k             $5k            $5k             $5k              $5k           NPSL       @ 0%

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+