cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Has anyone ever bought a car from a different state?

tag
Dragen
Established Member

Has anyone ever bought a car from a different state?

Can someone explain the process of purchasing a car from a dealer in another state? Is it difficult, is there a lot of paperwork involved, any out of pocket fees?

Thanks in advance.
Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
Appleman
Valued Contributor

Re: Has anyone ever bought a car from a different state?

I live 18 miles from a state line and have bought a few cars across the state line. When I did, I did not pay sales tax on the vehicle until I got the plates for the new car.

Every state is different but is really not a big deal. However, in my example, I had the cash to pay the $2,000+ in sales tax that I owed and did not have to roll it into my loan. If someone needed to finance the sales tax, it might be a bit more tricky.

I would call the dealer and ask them as well as the DMV in your state.

Message 2 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

It is not difficult at all and the paperwork isn't different from what you'd get from a local dealer.  Yes, you do incur some out of pocket fees regardless whether it is in state or out of state. For example, you will incur dmw fees, document fee etc.

Message 3 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Depends on the state...but if you Google your local DMV, all the info would be there because this is such a common thing.

Message 4 of 12
iced
Valued Contributor

@Dragen wrote:
Can someone explain the process of purchasing a car from a dealer in another state? Is it difficult, is there a lot of paperwork involved, any out of pocket fees?

Thanks in advance.

I have, and it can be just like buying a car in-state, depending on your state.

I happen to live in a state that has laws prohibiting me from taking ownership (or the keys) to a car until the sales tax is paid, I can show proof of insurance for the new VIN, and the car is registered and plated.  That means even when I buy a car out of state, the dealer/seller cannot legally turn the car over to me until I show up with all 3. With my last purchase out of state, that meant the dealership had to send a courier to the RMV in my state to register the car and get the plates to put on the car before I could drive it off the lot.

Message 5 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

The answer to this question really depend's on the state you are purchasing your vehicle from and what state you live in, regarding the sales taxes.

As far as paperwork, it will be basically the same, typically the only differences in paperwork among different states in the State specific Title Application, and some additional paperwork required by the state/lender. Usually won't be much difference at all though.

Where I live the buying experience is very different than the state that is only a few miles from me. Where I live the dealer doesn't collect sales taxes, nor do they finance sales taxes into the loan (unless specifically asked for by the customer) Sales taxes are paid at the DMV within 30 days of purchase by the customer.

In the state that is only a few miles away from me, Dealers collect sales taxes/finance the sales taxes as the time of sale on financed vehicle because they have to make sure sales taxes are paid in a timely fashion in order to perfect the lien on the vehicle for the lender. In my state dealer electronically file Lien's on vehicles to perfect the lien.

Message 6 of 12
Dragen
Established Member

Thanks all, very good information here. Unfortunately the deal fell through so I wasted your time (much like THEY wasted MINE); they ended up refusing to honor the price listed on their site.

Message 7 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Dragen wrote:
Thanks all, very good information here. Unfortunately the deal fell through so I wasted your time (much like THEY wasted MINE); they ended up refusing to honor the price listed on their site.

Sorry to hear and you didn't waste anyone's time at all..  Hang in there.

Message 8 of 12
Hotcoals91
Regular Contributor

How about if you move across state lines while a year or 2 into paying on a 6 year auto loan? What would the situation be like then?
Message 9 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Hotcoals91 wrote:
How about if you move across state lines while a year or 2 into paying on a 6 year auto loan? What would the situation be like then?

Could you be more detailed as to what you are asking here? Are you looking to get a new loan?

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.