cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Has anyone heard of the dealer "track system"?

tag
Gael421

Has anyone heard of the dealer "track system"?

Have you heard of the dealer "track system"? Hey guys, if you're in the market for a car, beware of these auto dealer tactics. https://www.dcu.org/showme/cars/buyguide-chap1.html

Edit: removed link tracker --Rev

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

Re: auto purchase....Has anyone heard of the dealer "track system"?

@Gael421 wrote:

Have you heard of the dealer "track system"? Hey guys, if you're in the market for a car, beware of these auto dealer tactics. https://www.dcu.org/showme/cars/buyguide-chap1.html

Hrm.

Why would you ever go into a dealership these days without the intention to buy?  All the marketing literature, reviews, and everything else is online these days... coming in to pick up a brochure is so last century Smiley Happy.

        
Message 2 of 6
rcauvin

@Revelate wrote:

@Gael421 wrote:

Hrm.

Why would you ever go into a dealership these days without the intention to buy?  All the marketing literature, reviews, and everything else is online these days... coming in to pick up a brochure is so last century Smiley Happy.

I haven't been to a dealer in a long time, but that's because my auto transactions have been private. However, friends who've recently bought vehicles went to the dealership for test drives.

Message 3 of 6
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@rcauvin wrote:

@Revelate wrote:

@Gael421 wrote:

Hrm.

I haven't been to a dealer in a long time, but that's because my auto transactions have been private. However, friends who've recently bought vehicles went to the dealership for test drives.

I guess my theory is by the time you go in for a test drive, you've already determined you're going to buy a car... that random test drive of a Ferrari (if they let you out of the parking lot with the keys but I digress) or whatever notwithstanding Smiley Happy.

        
Message 4 of 6
rcauvin

@Revelate wrote:

@rcauvin wrote:

@Revelate wrote:

@Gael421 wrote:

Hrm.

I guess my theory is by the time you go in for a test drive, you've already determined you're going to buy a car... that random test drive of a Ferrari (if they let you out of the parking lot with the keys but I digress) or whatever notwithstanding Smiley Happy.

Yeah, doesn't seem like a lot of people go to the dealer without vehicles in mind and just are looking to test drive without a serious mindset.

But there are many other components of the buying journey - loan, GAP, insurance, title transfer, warranty - that a dealership can facilitate for the buyer. But it may not always be in the buyer's best interest.

E.g. should a buyer attempt to line up financing options in advance of going to the dealership? If so, is it in the dealer's interest to "flip" the loan?

Message 5 of 6
StartingOver10
Moderator Emerita

Yes, it is better for the buyer to have their financing lined up before stepping foot on the dealership lot for a test drive. One of the good reasons is -if you go to a CU there is only one inquiry and not a whole slew of them that the dealership typically puts in place.

Collateral benefit, gives you negotiating power. You are negotiating price of the vehicle and not payments. You don't have to tell them you have financing lined up. In fact, I wouldn't until you get into the finance office. As to gap insurance - get that from your insurance company direct (much cheaper). Would never consider insurance from an auto dealer; you ought to have your own from a legitimate insurance company. Warranty, I buy cars one or two years old with whatever factory warranty may or may not be left on the vehicle. I don't go for the extended warranty because IMO its a rip off. I would rather pay for repairs not covered under the factory warranty than throw away $2k to $3k on the 'maybe it will be covered warranty'. That is my personality though.

Yes, the dealer tries to flip you to their financing. They make more money on financing and all the add on's than they do on the sale of the vehicle. I have found that it is NOT in my best interest to let the dealer finance me  (in general).

Keep in mind:  dealerships lie. Nothing they do is in your best interest. You are smart for researching first. Then you make the move that is best for you.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.