cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Has anyone used Capital One Auto Navigator at Carmax?

tag
kbella
New Contributor

Has anyone used Capital One Auto Navigator at Carmax?

Just wondering if anyone has brought their preapproval letter from Capital One Auto Navigator to Carmax, and if so, what was your experience?  We have been pre-approved up to 40k from 2.49-9.14%.  Been reading online about some bad experiences with Carmax saying they don't work with Capital One, but the app lists them as a participating dealer.  I'm going to confirm with Capital One tomorrow, but was just wondering if anyone used them while purchasing a car from Carmax?  We think we finally found a truck that we've been looking for and had it transferred to our local Carmax store which we will be going to view on Tuesday.  TIA.

TU-579 EX-551 EQ-562 as of 1/14/09 (ouch)
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
junebug225
New Contributor

Re: Has anyone used Capital One Auto Navigator at Carmax?

I didn't use Carmax with I purchased through CapOne but if I remember correctly I searched via CapOne Auto navigation site with I found my Vette. Did Carmax come up as a preferred dealer from the site?
Fico's EQ 540 TU 529 EX 517 starting 3/2015
Fico's EQ 760 TU 775 EX 771 as of 04/204
Long term 775 across the board
Message 2 of 6
heavyjay
Regular Contributor

Not to hijack, but I got a Cap1 pre-approval last summer and somewhere in the fine print it said I had to let the dealer pull my credit again. I didn't go through with it because the last dealer I let pull my credit put 11 inquiries on my TU and 7 on EX. 

FICO 08:Jan 18, 2017: EX 800 EQ 725 TU 799
FICO 08:Feb 10, 2017: EX 788 EQ 772 TU 791 (post New Year's app spree)
In the garden as of 1/4/2017. Will remain for all of 2017.
Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

I tried in 2015. Got preapproval from Capital One, took it in was told that they didn't accept Capital One financing. I took my business elsewhere, after getting 5 inquiries and 2 awful financing offers from CarMax.

Message 4 of 6
kbella
New Contributor

FYI, so as it turns out, there were no issues purchasing at CarMax with Cap 1 Auto Navigator pre-approval.  I did tell CarMax that I had the pre-approval and they did try to offer me their financing but Cap 1 was lower interest rate.  I had also called Cap 1 to confirm, and CarMax is now a participating dealer.  

TU-579 EX-551 EQ-562 as of 1/14/09 (ouch)
Message 5 of 6
jpope1294
Valued Member

I purchased my BMW from Carmax with the Cap One Auto in Newport News, VA.  The process was painless.  The best experience for me because I told them what I wanted they had the car transferred in from Maryland, test drove, came back in the office and signed off on all paperwork.  I did this one day after work and was out of the dealership by 6:30 or so.  I love that CarMax honored this with no problem at all.  They did mention if I wanted to try to go through their financing for possible better rate.  I allowed that and if they did pull credit it never showed on my report.  Would definitely recommend using CarMax along with Cap One Auto Finance.  Best of luck.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.