Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Having an auto loan?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Having an auto loan?

Does having an auto loan, having paid extra payments and paying on time help my score at all? I've heard it won't until I pay it off. Is this true? We have a yr and a half left on the loan, but it will be less than that since we've paid more.

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Having an auto loan?

The loan helps both FICO scoring and manual underwriting.

You actually get very little for paying it off: however, it still fully counts in your payment history, and also is an installment loan which counts in the mix-of-credit types.  Just keep doing as you're doing, paying on time.  Extra payments don't do much for your score other than reduce your outstanding debt, though that's never a bad thing from a financial perspective.

        
Message 2 of 6
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

Paying on time is one of those things thats helps you more over time, so keep making payments and your score will improve.

Missing a payment will bring you an immediate and severe FICO score ding.

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 3 of 6
cdtotten
Established Contributor

Paying more than the monthly payment will have little (if any) affect on your score. Installment utilization is an extremely tiny piece of the FICO puzzle. Paying off the loan will not help you as well, especially if it is your only active installment loan. Paying on time is the normal thing that is expected... doing it keeps your score on an even keel.

Starting Score: 627 EQ, 621 TU - 11/15/08
Current Score: 778 EQ, 781 TU, 778 EXP 07/20/12 Lender Pull
Goal Score: 800 EQ & TU

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 4 of 6
Chris123nTx
Established Contributor

I paid off my jeep last year early. Had the loan through cap1. Was totally happy with the terms and all, but it sure feels nice having a fully paid off vehicle. When i did pay it off, my credit score dropped by, i seem to recall, about 30 points.

It regained all of it though within a couple months and has moved higher since then. I know that installment loans can help, but being onthe hook month after month if you dont need to be can be way worse than a few points on a credit score. For me, being able to sleep at night is well worth it.
Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Revelate wrote:

The loan helps both FICO scoring and manual underwriting.

You actually get very little for paying it off: however, it still fully counts in your payment history, and also is an installment loan which counts in the mix-of-credit types.  Just keep doing as you're doing, paying on time.  Extra payments don't do much for your score other than reduce your outstanding debt, though that's never a bad thing from a financial perspective.

+1

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.